Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Water trapped in sho hull

guy i have been looking for a leak on the sho,so Ive filled the hull up on the drive and waited for leaks to show

found the culprit(trim cable nut) and drained the hull.. used a sponge and vacuum to empty ever last bit out the hull before work starts, upon lifting the nose up and down to get the last bit out i have noticed a sloshing in the hull so i look in and its dry....

there is water in between the inner and outer and from the sounds of it its not a little bit...i can confirm it gets in around the motor mounts(saw bubbles when emptying hull)..

is there anyway to get this out without drilling outer like we did on the gpr's ...searched and found nothing

HELP..

+1

Lightbulb ???

Paul..

Seems like the solution would be to find the lowest natural point in the hull..

Likely once again above the keel.. (as in theGPR's)

Then drill in from above (inside) feed in a small diameter hose attached to a pump.. "Voila"

Since i don't think hanging it upside down is a viable alternative..??

Gerry

+1
    i noticed the same thing yesterday after flushing the SHO and cleaning it, we were pushing it in the garage and heard the sloshing sound ( like theres alot of water traped in there) then we tilted the nose up and there was only a small amount of water in the rear of the ski, not enough to make that sloshing noise

+1
    Paul, talk to Awamori. He had a SHO shipped to Japan & it had lots of water trapped between the hull & the liner when it arrived. He can probably give you some advice on how he dried it out.

+1
    thanks guys...

just been back out there and started getting into this thing..

entry point of water see pic 1...rivits should have been blind from factory..easy fix when dry 4200fc over holes

nose up on trailer pic 2... water seaping back out of rivit holes when rocked...confirm water in between skins

also found this little thing in hull pics 3 & 4 any ideas ??????

guys i just cant drill this hull yet there has to be another way possible from inside..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hull drain 001.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	182155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hull drain 004.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	182156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hull drain 005.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	182157   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hull drain 007.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.96 MB 
ID:	182158  

+1
    Little blue disk looks like where they bored through the cowl using either a Forstner bit or hole saw?

+1
    DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING....I just woke up and will respond with the series of events I took to fix my problem that sounds a lot like what you're experiencing.

This sounds all too familiar to me. If you go to Youtube.com and type in "water in the hull SHO" you should see some videos of what I was getting. Let me know if that is what you ski sounds like. Turn your speakers up real loud when you find it.

Will post back shortly after I get to work and can get to a computer again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Awamori View Post
    DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING....I just woke up and will respond with the series of events I took to fix my problem that sounds a lot like what you're experiencing.

This sounds all too familiar to me. If you go to Youtube.com and type in "water in the hull SHO" you should see some videos of what I was getting. Let me know if that is what you ski sounds like. Turn your speakers up real loud when you find it.

Will post back shortly after I get to work and can get to a computer again.
    thanks Awamori cool drill on hold

little update if anyone has same problem or interested

it does not look possible to seal the inner and outer skins as the engine mount base trickles water when ski is over to one side and elevated at the nose,it runs from under mount as well as out of the rivit centres..

also the water box bottom strap bracket has two rivets holding it in place these also trickle water back into hull when elevated,

this area in the rear(battery area) was where i was going to drill a hole to let some water run out but will leave the hole open rather than reseal so the water can run out with ease once nose lifted after each ride,

i would love some of you guys to lift and drop nose and listen as i think 99% of the sho's will have this problem from water entering engine mount area...

+1

not as bad as that but yes the same damn thing

+1
    Ok after much anger/frustration/head scratching and advice about drilling holes I did not go that route. With my ski it was placed in a shipping configuration, like when it comes from the factory on it's side. My inner hull took on a large amount of water on it's way to Japan where I'm stationed. I'm not sure exactly how the water got in there, but i believe it entered from the holes they used to fill the voids from the outside hull to the inside liner. This is done with an expandable foam. This is the no mans land that traps water that even Yamaha Corp. couldn't provide me a straight answer as to how it was able to get there. I think mine entered through those holes that are left uncovered after the foam filling process. Either way water was there and no one could explain how or why. They could also not guarantee a good way to remove it.

This may shock you but the answer to this whole fiasco is JUST LEAVE IT.

What I found out was after a few months, and about a handfull of rides, the amount of water decreased each time. Now there is no water present in my hull. So what I'm suggesting to you is, do nothing. Fix the area that you found, but do nothing as far as trying to remove the water in no mans land. See what happens before you go popping holes in your liner or worse your outside hull like I almost did because it was driving me crazy. Had you not had so much water in your hull from trying to find the leak this wouldn't have happened is my guess. Just like both our situations...our inner hulls took on a more than normal amount of H2O.

Report back after the summer and let us know. I will wager it gets a little better after every ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information