New 05' RXP Owner Q's on engine clean/BOV/Catch can

Just bought my RXP a month ago, I've been out on it 2 weeks ago over spring break. It has 64 hours it and runs like a champ. I know the washers have been changed out and grate holes on the bottom have been filled up with some kind of silicone. He's also replaced the steering column or something like that since it wasn't working properly. Im not sure if hes done anything else, but i did hit 74 on the display (Assuming that means 69-70 in real mph). The stock intake system is there as well.

I've been racing my supercharged cobalt in the ohio autocross system for the past couple years, I'm experienced and skilled with many mechanical work of superchargers and boosted engines.

I use a Husky air compressor catch can on my cobalt now, it runs and works perfectly. I couldn't tell you how much carbon buildup was in TB and supercharger housing before i did that. As im looking at the vacuum line for the RXP's intake, I don't see how riva's fits at all.

Also, what can I use to clean up my engine bay after I ride it? One dealer said to spray wd-40 over everything, is this the best way? Every engine part has a good greasy touch to it, keeps it looking really clean and in great condition. What is out there that I can use? And should i spray down the engine bay with a hose then drain out the water? Newb questions but I cant seem to find them on the search feature.

How important is it to run the Blow off valve kit? Meaning do i really need it if I don't have a Riva stage kit?

-Thanks fellas

Tommy

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRXP View Post
    Just bought my RXP a month ago, I've been out on it 2 weeks ago over spring break. It has 64 hours it and runs like a champ. I know the washers have been changed out and grate holes on the bottom have been filled up with some kind of silicone. He's also replaced the steering column or something like that since it wasn't working properly. Im not sure if hes done anything else, but i did hit 74 on the display (Assuming that means 69-70 in real mph). The stock intake system is there as well.

I've been racing my supercharged cobalt in the ohio autocross system for the past couple years, I'm experienced and skilled with many mechanical work of superchargers and boosted engines.

I use a Husky air compressor catch can on my cobalt now, it runs and works perfectly. I couldn't tell you how much carbon buildup was in TB and supercharger housing before i did that. As im looking at the vacuum line for the RXP's intake, I don't see how riva's fits at all.

Also, what can I use to clean up my engine bay after I ride it? One dealer said to spray wd-40 over everything, is this the best way? Every engine part has a good greasy touch to it, keeps it looking really clean and in great condition. What is out there that I can use? And should i spray down the engine bay with a hose then drain out the water? Newb questions but I cant seem to find them on the search feature.

How important is it to run the Blow off valve kit? Meaning do i really need it if I don't have a Riva stage kit?

-Thanks fellas

Tommy
    I don't know about all of catch can business and whatnot, but DO NOT use WD-40 ,go ahead and get a couple of cans of Bombardier XPS lube and spray the mess out everything.
    And you can use a hose to wash down the engine bay, but use a light mist and try not to do it for too long, then lube up everything.

250 horses and only one jocky
    Use WD-40 it works just fine!! As for a blow-off valve don't get one as they have a habit of sticking thus loss in performance, some on here do and some dont up to you if you want to waste in my opinion as i have taken mine off and had no issues. Catch can is a good idea but i would make one and also save a few . As for seeing 74mph on your display??......Correct me if im wrong but i thought it only reads up to 70 so even if you are running 75mph (GPS) it will still only show 70 on your Seadoo display!
    Oh and DO NOT spray inside your hull with water lol....you have electronics in there what a STUPID idea!!

If you plan on changing your intake to a 3" or 4" then you'll have to do the catch can which comes with the Stage 1. I used to rinse my engine compartment with Salt Away but I switched to using Dawn liquid.... Cheaper than Salt Away and doesnt leave a film over everything. I also rinse the engine compartment very liberaly but open up the drain plugs at the rear and lift the nose of the trailer for it to drain. Then I use a leaf blower to dry the engine compartment in order to minimize water accumulation then I spray again liberaly the compartment ( specially anything metal with XP lube... some will say that WD-40 has a detrimental effect on hoses. been doing this for 4 yrs and my engine compartment is spotless and O corrosion. I rinse my shit religiuosly whether I ride on salt water or brackish. Godd luck and enjoy you toy.

Thread Information