a bit of sc help please

hi guys im hoping you can help,

i have just bought another 04 rxp to keep standard well kinda,

the ski has 98 hours on it so i questioned the seller about the charger rebuild and he said it hadnt been done but he had a brand new charger waiting to go in, with the ski he gave me another sc that he said had been fully rebuilt a few weeks ago readu to go into the ski, i called the preson that had supplied the sc and they confirmed it was fully rebuilt,

now it looks like the shaft and bearings ect have been replaced as he said but im not sure that the charger is as it should be, the shaft has some play in and outwards which i have never felt before, the shaft moves in or out 0.25mm and on closer inspection it looks like the bearing inside the housing behind the clutch is moving in and out too.

there is no side to side movement at all but i would have thought a brand new sc would be nice and tight with no movement at all and i also thought the bearing should be pressed in and wouldnt move in and out with the shaft although its not a lot of movement its still a worry for me who hasnt had enough experience with them yet.

the sc is a 06 i belive and i was told that the rebuild kit is a 08 does that sound true? is there any difference in rebuild kits per year?
    should the bearing be pressed in?
    is any in or out movement acceptable?

advice as always appreciated,

pic attached for reference

+1
    Id be pulling the one in the ski to see if its failed? im guessing it has if theres a NEW charger for it

i have already pulled the one in the ski, and its all ok, its just the original sc and has 100 hours on it, the guy bought the new sc to upgrade as it has a green wheel in it and new shaft ect and he just thought instead of rebuild the current he bought another,

i guess there is no one with advice then....

+1
    looks like it has an 08 kit with metal washers. id do a slip check befor putting it in the ski. theres 1000's and 1000s of post about these charger so lots of info here.

cheers for the reply dockside,

i have checked the slip and have had a good look through the site for info but havent managed to find any info about whether its acepptable to have movement in/out on the shaft.

its just a shame im in the uk or i would have just sent it to jerry for the once over to make sure all is good before fitting.

Banned User
    Friendly help move the front oil pump and look on the oil if pieces of the previously ceramic washers is on it, if there is pull out the engine and clean it because if you don't you are going to destroy the motor.

+1
    here's the shop manual for the rebuild. slip is 1lb of slip for every lb of boost.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    cheers for the reply dockside,

i have checked the slip and have had a good look through the site for info but havent managed to find any info about whether its acepptable to have movement in/out on the shaft.

its just a shame im in the uk or i would have just sent it to jerry for the once over to make sure all is good before fitting.
    Russ,

I recently brought two SCs to Jerry, each for an '06 RXT w/about 125 hrs each. I had the washers replaced at about 35 hrs. when I stumbled across this site.

He picked up each and rocked them back and forth. One made a "knock-knock" noise as the axle (I guess) slipped in and out just the slightest bit. Jerry commented "Yep, time for a rebuild".

I assume this is the in/out movement you're speaking of. My advice is a full rebuild for piece of mind or at least shimming if you just changed the washers. You might also want to inspect your bearings.

Good luck,

Thread Information