Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pump Problem

Pump Problem

I am going to look at a ski on Saturday that has a problem with the drive train. His description was, the motor runs and revs normal but it wont move and and when you rev it just bubbles come out the jet.

My question is what could be the problem, is this something common and easy to fix or something abnormal and expensive.

Thank You for any information that you can provide!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    That sounds like the drive splines at one end of the drive shaft or the other have become striped.

If it has a large rubber bonded type drive shaft coupler behind the engine, they can sometimes fail and slip.

If the engine runs and the impeller does not, then the drive shaft is not driving the impeller.

Repair cost might involve replacing the engine coupler, drive shaft, impeller, possibly the jet pump stator. One or several of those items.

However, without being able to test ride it on the water, you cannot be sure the engine is 100% operational.

All the normal PWC pre-purchase checks still have to be done; cylinder compression, hull cracks, etc.

Basic Introduction to the purchase of a Personal Watercraft
    This is not specific to Polaris PWC, and some things may not directly apply.
    It is written for PWC with 2-stroke engines.

worst case scenario what is a rough estimate of what it will cost to repair and how do i check to find out what it is for sure? Could it involve splitting the case to repair or is it much simpler than that?

Thank You for all your information, it has been extremely helpful!

+1
    It might just be ventilating. crawl underneath and see what kind of shape the prop is in. If the prop looks ok, then lower the nose of the trailer to the ground and pour enough water onto the top of the ride plate so that it covers the joint where the rideplate meets the pump shoe at the front of the rideplate. Crawl under and look for water coming out between the ride plate and pump shoe. If there is not a good seal there, It will exhibit the symptoms described. It may also have a blown carrier bearing which will also let air into the pump. fill the hull until it covers the driveshaft and crawl under and look for water coming out from where the driveshaft comes out of the hull.

Check the easy stuff 1st. before you buy any pwc, do a compression test.

+1
    ...the motor runs and revs normal but it wont move and and when you rev it just bubbles come out the jet...
    If it doesn't move much at all even when the engine is revved up, then I don't think it is (just) a ventilation problem.

Whatever the problem is, if the engine is in good shape, my guesstimate is that correcting the problem would cost maybe $100-$250, depending on what is actually wrong.

And you do the repair work yourself, buying good condition used parts.

you are correct its not just a ventilation problem. Where the drive shaft connects to the motor is where the problem is. He only wanted $300 for the ski so I decided to purchase it and try and figure this out.

So the new question is how do I replace it. Are there any special tools required? Do I have to pull the motor? What is the part called so I can order one?

Thanks for all your information! You guys are awesome and extremely knowledgeable!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by koryk View Post
    you are correct its not just a ventilation problem. Where the drive shaft connects to the motor is where the problem is. He only wanted $300 for the ski so I decided to purchase it and try and figure this out.

So the new question is how do I replace it. Are there any special tools required? Do I have to pull the motor? What is the part called so I can order one?...
    You remove the jet pump, then slide the drive shaft out.

Instructions on removing the jet pump are posted somewhere around here

Once the drive shaft is out, figure out if the drive shaft or the PTO engine coupler it slides into is the problem.

The splines on one or both may be striped. Do NOT put your finger into the PTO coupler hole - metal splinters are no fun.

While you have it out, check the splines on the jet pump end of the shaft, and in the impeller.

Also check that the impeller rotates smoothly, with no grinding noise or fell, and no slop or wobble.

Thanks a ton I'll let you know what I find out!

I pulled the pump off and got the drive shaft out. Nither the male or female end seems to be stripped, all the splines are well defined.. I have included pictures of the drive shaft. Please let me know what you think and what could be the problem. There was play in the shaft before I pulled it out.

Thanks for any info you can give me!

+1
    There are also matching splines on the inside of the engine PTO coupler, and inside the impeller nose. Inspect them, but do not stick your finger in there

If you have the large rubber bonded PTO coupler, they can fail and slip.
    When a rubber bonded drive shaft coupler goes bad

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information