Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Another ceramic washer disaster

New to the forum.

I know this is a dead horse, but a nightmare for me. A friend and I bought two 05 RXTs. Rode mine once, then let my friends brother ride it for its seconds time out under my ownership...the day my daughter was born. I get a call later that evening reporting a loss of power. I was already online searching possible issues. After getting home, and pulling the SC, I found both ceramic washers missing. After pulling the PTO I found large chunks in some of the cavities, more pieces against the screen, scarring on the rotor, and tiny flakes in the oil filter and oil filter.

I have read numerous posts saying that all that needs to be cleaned and replaced is everything in the lower housing.

Can the members confirm or deny. I am pulling the engine tomorrow. I am just hoping I don't need to completely tear down the engine and rebuild.

I will be having the SC rebuilt with metal washers and ceramic bearings. Any other tips on improving performance or prolonging engine life while I have the engine open would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Sorry to hear also sorry to say your not the only one. how many hrs on it?

+1
    I've been lucky but my friends have had them go.

Bought with 51.7 hours, currently has 55. With as much money as I am going to spend to repair it, I should have just bought a new 09 with the 3 year warranty. I've been kicking myself for a week now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tatanka View Post
    Bought with 51.7 hours, currently has 55. With as much money as I am going to spend to repair it, I should have just bought a new 09 with the 3 year warranty. I've been kicking myself for a week now.
    shat happen's and u have GH ta help you out. try to piece together both washers. more you find the better. how long did they run it after the charger failed

Wish I knew the honest answer on that one. My friend says 45 minutes, his brother says 2 hours.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tatanka View Post
    Wish I knew the honest answer on that one. My friend says 45 minutes, his brother says 2 hours.
    who was riding it the brother or friend? if the friend then im guessing 2hr ceramics make a mess of motors when run for a long time after they fail.

pull both oil pumps and try and start building the ceramic washer puzzel.

+1
    Do not use ceramic bearings!

Brother. I haven't taken anything off the rear of the engine yet. I am hoping a few more pieces fall out when I pop that off.

General consensus seems to say ceramic bearings are better because the are more round the steel bearings and are not as affected by heat. However, I felt the same way. If the ceramic bearing fails and disintegrates like the washers, won't I have the same problem I have now?

Probably also worth mentioning that they were riding in pretty heavy chop.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information