fuji burn down repair

I took readings on mag & center, cyls both nice and snug! Ive got a new piston & rings for pto . I am also re-ringing both mag & center cyls, luckily enough just a light hone job needed for all cyls.My mechanic buddy said that it was a waste of time & money to re-ring the two unnafected cyls.
    I was under the impression that all 3 cyls. should get new rings & thats exactly what Im doing! any opinions on this subject.getting ready for reasembally soon Thank god, this sure turned out to be a costly lesson
    Ive got about $1200.00 into what nada states is worth 320.00. Positive side is this should be a sound & dependable boat. Ive actually become attatched to this thing. challenging & rewarding.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The NADA numbers are misleading

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    IMO, it's not a waste. If you rering 1 cyl, you need to do a break in anyways, so why not do all of them and have consistant readings.

Make sure to correct the cause of the failed piston in the first place.

And always perform a leak down test after engine re-assembly. (before the exh pipe goes back on)

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    IMO, it's not a waste. If you rering 1 cyl, you need to do a break in anyways, so why not do all of them and have consistant readings.

Make sure to correct the cause of the failed piston in the first place.

And always perform a leak down test after engine re-assembly. (before the exh pipe goes back on)
    That was my thinking also ,Im in there so might as well shoot for even numbers on comp.As far as finding original problem, I have replaced the whole fuel sys. pump, hoses.on/off valve water seperator,restrictor,vac. valve at tank ,also pressure relief valve at tank.I rebuilt all carbs with mikuni kits. I have indexed the crank & it is in sync. I also did a leak down before tear down & lost about 2lbs. that was after 30 min. & I pressured it to 12lbs. too much on both # what is it supposed to be? 9lbs for 10 min.So Im starting to feel confident that I have eleminated any possability of holing piston again. fingers crossed anyways.
    Thanks Brian
    Last edited by blegan; 04-10-2010 at 09:33 AM. Reason: forgot carbs

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Didn't see new fuel pump listed. I assume you did that?

Also fuel line restrictor is re-installed?

Also need to verify engine timing. Too far advanced can hole a piston. Even at 3000 RPM cruising range.

Just covering all the bases. I want you and the family to enjoy the Hell out of that thing this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Didn't see new fuel pump listed. I assume you did that?

Also fuel line restrictor is re-installed?

Also need to verify engine timing. Too far advanced can hole a piston. Even at 3000 RPM cruising range.

Just covering all the bases. I want you and the family to enjoy the Hell out of that thing this summer.
    Thanks, & yes I did upgrade to a 3 outlet mikuni fuel pump, &I have a couple various main jets to use as a restrictor w/hose barb connector tapped to thread them in. Im going to start with a # 70 & see what I get I will check the timing at reassembaly.
    as always thank you

Thread Information