Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help with carb adjustments: Hesitating out of the hole

The break-in on the SLTX is almost done. We did a few full-throttle bursts today and she seems to be pulling well in the mid-high range. It seems like there's still a little missing at the top though. The plugs look really good....almost showing a little rich but that may still be the premix. Still too early to see any wash. Idle is right around 1350 rpm

But the bigger problem is that I have major hesitation out of the hole. Once she gets up to plane and around 3500-4000 rpm, everything seems fine but that initial "get up" is just not there. We did find that if you just slightly pull the choke while starting out it got a lot better. This is making me think I'm a little lean.

Am I on the right track? What's a good place to start for an adjustment?

This ski has a new crank, new WSM platinum pistons and the carbs only have a few hours on them since a rebuild.

On a lighter note, the Hurricane and the SL1050 are both running extremely well. The 'cane is just too wet of a ride in 15mph winds!

+1
    Yes you are lean on the bottom end. Turn out your low speed screws 1/4-1/2 turn at a time till it goes away. If you end up turning the low speed screws out more than 2 1/2 turns, then rejet to the next size up and turn your screws back to stock position. If it continues, start turning the screws out again. Keep doing this process till it goes away.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    But the bigger problem is that I have major hesitation out of the hole.
    Does the accelerator pump......pump ????? You should see some gas spray into the carbs

Quote Originally Posted by 32DegH2O View Post
    Yes you are lean on the bottom end. Turn out your low speed screws 1/4-1/2 turn at a time till it goes away. If you end up turning the low speed screws out more than 2 1/2 turns, then rejet to the next size up and turn your screws back to stock position. If it continues, start turning the screws out again. Keep doing this process till it goes away.
    Awesome. This is what I was looking for. Six skis and I've never had to tune a set of carbs yet. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Does the accelerator pump......pump ????? You should see some gas spray into the carbs
    Not sure. I'll check today. We're going back out later today so I want to have some ideas of what to look for and tweak while I'm out there.

But for now, it's before 5 AM and I'm off to see Texas Stadium (the old Cowboys stadium) get blow'd up. This ugly old cow will be a pile of rubble in a couple hours.

I started with a half turn before going out today. It seemed quite a bit better, but still not there. It was also smoking more than I would want. (Although there is still premix in the tank so it may just be that.)

After warming up, I opened it up a bit more. There was more top end it seemed....at least for a while. And then it just died.

I was out in the dead center of the lake and it just died on me. I hit the started and it started right back up and idled, but as soon as I gave it even a little gas it would die. I started back toward the ramp at idle, hoping I would make it. After a minute or so, I tried to give it gas and it was back to normal. I went back to the dock and swapped it for the SL1050 so I could have a little fun. I did notice that the MAG cylinder seemed to be a little hotter than the other two. Not sure if I'd say too hot, but it was definitely noticeable.

So I'm lost. I came home and checked compression. Still 120 on all three. The pistons are just starting to show a light brown patina on them. Maybe the start of the wash? The plugs were all a chocolate brown color.

I pulled the flame arresters and while the engine is off and I pull the throttle, I don't see any fuel. When it's running, I can see just a little at idle and a nice spray when I give it some throttle. The SL1050 behaves the same way.

So, current symptoms:
    -Hesitation out of the hole
    -Carbs are turned out .5 turn from stock
    -Died suddenly on water and then would only idle...lasted a few minutes and was back to normal
    -MAG cylinder running a little hot

Where should I start to track this mess down?

+1
    I started with a half turn before going out today. It seemed quite a bit better, but still not there. It was also smoking more than I would want. (Although there is still premix in the tank so it may just be that.)

After warming up, I opened it up a bit more. There was more top end it seemed....at least for a while. And then it just died.

I was out in the dead center of the lake and it just died on me. I hit the started and it started right back up and idled, but as soon as I gave it even a little gas it would die. I started back toward the ramp at idle, hoping I would make it. After a minute or so, I tried to give it gas and it was back to normal. I went back to the dock and swapped it for the SL1050 so I could have a little fun. I did notice that the MAG cylinder seemed to be a little hotter than the other two. Not sure if I'd say too hot, but it was definitely noticeable.

So I'm lost. I came home and checked compression. Still 120 on all three. The pistons are just starting to show a light brown patina on them. Maybe the start of the wash? The plugs were all a chocolate brown color.

I pulled the flame arresters and while the engine is off and I pull the throttle, I don't see any fuel. When it's running, I can see just a little at idle and a nice spray when I give it some throttle. The SL1050 behaves the same way.

So, current symptoms:
    -Hesitation out of the hole
    -Carbs are turned out .5 turn from stock
    -Died suddenly on water and then would only idle...lasted a few minutes and was back to normal
    -MAG cylinder running a little hot

Where should I start to track this mess down?
    check your vent off the tank and make sure your on/off switch is not going bad they seem to swell up and don't let fuel go through them and they sometimes plug up also

+1
    Does the 96 carbs look like these, with the small accel pump attached to the front carb ? The 96 should have 3 small hoses attached to the carbs,1 to each carb,on the hull side. Gas should squirt from the brass fitting into the carb. You should get 1-2-3 squirts from a working accel pump with engine not running.
    On my pwc's,the pump seems to go dry if it sits for a while. With engine running, I push the pump plunger in,that usually gets the pump full of gas and working.

The stock carbs on the 97 SL 1050, did not have an accell pump.

These do not have the accel pump. I bought them off someone on here. They are probably from a '97.

+1
    These do not have the accel pump. I bought them off someone on here. They are probably from a '97.
    if there 97's you will have a VERY hard time getting the low end bogg out of them

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    if there 97's you will have a VERY hard time getting the low end bogg out of them

I supposed I could take the jets and rebuild my old 900 ones that have the accel pump....

I didn't realize there were differences over the years.

Does would the accel pump improve the holeshot on my '97 SL1050 as well?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information