Tear down question

Had a washer failure, pulled front PTO housing. Majority of washer was in the screen and cavities. Pulled rear PTO housing, some small pieces of rubber against the screen. I think its odds, but hopefully unassociated. Also some small pieces of the washer as well. Pulled filter, washer residue in the valleys of the filter and washer residue in the bottom of the oil filter housing.

How much farther should I go? The engine has been pulled, but I am not sure how much farther I should tear it down to clean it up and search for damaged parts. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Pull the oil cooler off and flush it out real good and I would recomend since you have the motor out to pull the bottom off, clean it out and check the crank and rod bearings for damage.

+1
    I`d also remove both your oil pump covers and check for damage to both the front and rear housings, pump shafts and rotors. If there badly scored, you`ll probably have to replace these.

If the pto housing is okay, check the oil pressure relief piston and sleeve in the bottom of the pto housing. When my charger failed, the washer pieces made it through the pto housing and obviously jammed the pressure relief piston, damaging the sleeve. These parts had to be replaced when i did the motor rebuild.

Alex..

Thanks guys, yea both oil pumps are toast. Think I can salvage the front pto cover. Front screen was caked. Rear screen had very, very small bits. Already opened the crank shaft cover. No score marks and not a single piece of debris. I will check those other items today before reattaching the crank case cover.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tatanka View Post
    Thanks guys, yea both oil pumps are toast. Think I can salvage the front pto cover. Front screen was caked. Rear screen had very, very small bits. Already opened the crank shaft cover. No score marks and not a single piece of debris. I will check those other items today before reattaching the crank case cover.
    It would be nice to see some pictures of the carnage.

Thread Information