Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

My adventure begins!

At the end of summer last year I picked up a 98 SLTH. Long story short after many discussions here it was decided I needed to do the ignition upgrade. I bought it, but never got around to tearing in and getting it installed. I was kinda nervous as I was feeling that some of the members that were trying to help me were getting aggravated at my lack of knowledge. I have done a lot of work with cars/trucks, but next to nothing with watercraft. I am hoping you guys will advise me, and help get me through this thing so I can ride this summer!

Here is where I am at. I have removed:
    exhaust, carbs, battery, oil pump, disconnected all cables, removed flywheel cover, and am about to go out and take stator wires out from cdi box.

It looks to me that all that is left holding motor in is the output shaft to the pump??? (is that what its called?) Also the 4 nuts/washers for the engine mounts.

My 2 questions I have as of now are:

1-What do I need to do to get the motor separated from that output shaft???

2-Do I need to mark the engine placement on the mounts before removal so it will go back in the exact same place, or how is that accomplished?

Any help given is truly appreciated!!!!

+1
    nobody is willing to advise me??? I have searched "700 engine removal" and came up with nothing. Can someone at least guide me to a tutorial, or somewhere that I can read how and what to do???

+1
    QUOTE=BiXLL;1389005]nobody is willing to advise me??? I have searched "700 engine removal" and came up with nothing. Can someone at least guide me to a tutorial, or somewhere that I can read how and what to do???[/QUOTE]

Pull the 4 long bolts from the pump disconnect the trim rod and steering cable and renove the pump and then pull the shaft ,you don't have to mark the mounts just make sure if theres shims on them they go back where they where . Pull the exhaust and fuel lines and disconnect all wiring and pull the motor out
    Simple

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post

Pull the 4 long bolts from the pump disconnect the trim rod and steering cable and renove the pump and then pull the shaft ,you don't have to mark the mounts just make sure if theres shims on them they go back where they where . Pull the exhaust and fuel lines and disconnect all wiring and pull the motor out
    Simple
    Thank you Lugs!!! OK, I did not realize I had to pull the pump out. I have ehaust and everything else out all ready. So once I take those 4 bolts out the shaft/pump will pull out from motor correct???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
    Thank you Lugs!!! OK, I did not realize I had to pull the pump out. I have ehaust and everything else out all ready. So once I take those 4 bolts out the shaft/pump will pull out from motor correct???
    yes sometimes the shaft stays in the motor all you have to do is pull it out
    once the pump is out of the way

+1
    Not sure when I can get back to garage to finish pulling it out, I work 10 to 12 hours a day durring the week, so it may be next weekend, but thanks for your input so far!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
    ...I was feeling that some of the members that were trying to help me were getting aggravated at my lack of knowledge...
    As long as you are willing to read and learn, we will try to be helpful

Click the link below.
    Bookmark it, and start reading.

Lots of good info

+1
    Guys, I had some time to work on it today. I got the 4 bolts pulled from the back of the pump. took off hose on inside of hull that gos out the back and is connected to the black plastic tube that runs alongside of pump housing. removed steering rod and reverse cable. I got the pump broke loose and the bolts are about even with the edge of the pump, but it won't come out any further. Is there something else I need to take off??? It really feels like it is hitting something pretty solid and does not want to come out???

Also, in trying to find answer for myself, I am reading about lineing the pump up, am I gonna have to do that when I go to put it back together???

when you say the bolts are about even with the pump, it sounds like you removed the 4 nuts that hold the pump to the hull. Is that correct or did you remove 4 LONG and skinny bolts that hold the pump together? Either way, the pump should just slide out but I wonder if maybe it is jamming on the bearing/seal that is between the engine and rear of the hull where the pump drive shaft goes through? Pictures will help us help you better too.

Turk

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turk0004 View Post
    when you say the bolts are about even with the pump, it sounds like you removed the 4 nuts that hold the pump to the hull. Is that correct or did you remove 4 LONG and skinny bolts that hold the pump together? Either way, the pump should just slide out but I wonder if maybe it is jamming on the bearing/seal that is between the engine and rear of the hull where the pump drive shaft goes through? Pictures will help us help you better too.

Turk
    I will go take a couple shots right now!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information