97 GSX Need Shop Or Engine Builder..need motor

Long story short im located in st.louis missouri, we ofton use are sea doo on table rock lake. Are sea-doo has had issues on and off ever sense we took it into a shop from day one. We had the carb's rebuilt and shortly after had the entire motor replaced because apparently it had lost compression in one of the cylinders. Sense then we took it back 2-3 times and put less than 15 hours on it in 6 months and were back to square one. The shop says the motor dropped a rave and one of the pistons is destroyed, they want to replace the motor again. We took are sea doo back and are storing it at home for the time being. Id like to get a well built motor that i can simply drop in and get the sea doo back up and working. I know its an older sea doo but its still in great shape and its perfect for what we use it for. We just use it a few times a year on summer vacations down to table rock. It would be more cost effective if i can find a nice shop or person to help me get a working motor than to sell it and buy a new sea doo.

Are there any reputable shops that have, or can build a replacement motor? Id be more than willing to remove and/or ship anything motor wise off this thing to a guy or shop to see what can/cant be used and get a assembled motor back and ready to roll. Any info, help, tips, or anything would be greatly appreciated.

I refuse to buy a remanufactered motor from SBT, thts the name of the company the shop used for the last motor that lasted just barely over a year but less than 15 hours of drive time on it.

thanks fella's

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the board!

Check the classifieds....member MPower has one for sale. I dont know what your budget is but its definitely a drop in...you may have to make sure your carbs are right before trying again.

SBT's are definitely junk...IMO. Cheap priced and cheaply built...

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Welcome to the board!

Check the classifieds....member MPower has one for sale. I dont know what your budget is but its definitely a drop in...you may have to make sure your carbs are right before trying again.

SBT's are definitely junk...IMO. Cheap priced and cheaply built...
    thank you very much, ill definately shoot him a pm', yea ill definately have the carb's checked, theyve both been rebuilt but ill definately have them inspected, im pretty mechanically inclined with car's and such but working on the sea doo is all brand new to me, so ill be reading alot of the stickey's over the next week or so', thanks much for the fast response

trying to keep it on a budget but willing to pay a little more now than replace it twice

id like to be able to find a reputable shop that i can ship everything to and have them diagnose everything including the carb's and basically sell me an entire drop in replacement motor or build me one usuing what ever can be salvaged off the curent motor, mostly referring to the carb's

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    PM Tweeker or Mongoose2 the have a shop. I have used them in the past and they are fast, affordable, and very helpful. www.purrperformance.com

i think sbt has rave valves already installed on their engines when you purchase one and if it dropped the rave valve that they installed then it should be covered by the warranty? i agree though sbt sucks . i have my machinist machine all the parts and i peice my motors together

Quote Originally Posted by juggaloXPracer View Post
    i think sbt has rave valves already installed on their engines when you purchase one and if it dropped the rave valve that they installed then it should be covered by the warranty? i agree though sbt sucks . i have my machinist machine all the parts and i peice my motors together

yea but by the time we got back down to table rock for are next vacation we had exceeded the 1 year mark on the warranty, even though we literally only put <15 hours on it...i tried arguing it..no luck, just tired of dealing with that shop entirely..thousands spent there and nothing accomplished...had several occasion's where they claimed they repaired it only for us to be stranded on the lake 3 hours later after it broke down....the shop was horrible

787 engine?? if so i have one from my 96 xp has exactly 116 hours on it, was running good before the starter went out, has about 160 psi in both cylinders one was 2 psi less than the other. ill take 450 plus shipping for it with the cover raves and oil pump connected.

Thread Information