Thread: Ran Aground

I pew pew lazors

Ran Aground

Ski: 2005 RXP, SC + IC

First, most of you guys here already know by now that I'm very new to PWCs. With that said...

I was idling through shallow water checking out some coves and before I realized it I bottomed out my ski in some ugly stuff. It was probably about two feet deep of water with mud so heavy you couldn't see the ground. I noticed as I bottomed out the ski lost some RPMs. I slowly pulled the ski around and idled into deeper water. As I was heading toward the dock I noticed that I had very little power and when I revved up anywhere over 3k RPMs I got quite a bit of vibration. I killed the engine and floated for a few minutes. Started 'er back up and noticed the power loss was still there but not quite as bad and anything around 3.5-4k RPMs created that same vibration feeling. I limped to the dock, tied off, jumped in the water to feel around the impeller grate (I think this is what it's called lol) for any foreign objects. I didn't feel anything. I went ahead and fired it back up and got the same vibration at 3.5k - 4k RPMs again and again. I killed the ski and restarted it 2 more times and kept getting the vibration. I finally got the balls and throttled up to about 5k RPMs and something gave way because the vibration instantly stopped and i started hauling ass. The ski behaved like it normally does after that. When I eventually got home I washed the ski off and crawled under the trailer to inspect it. Nothing looked scratched up and the impeller was defect free. I didn't see any chips, scratches, etc. The drive shaft to the impeller looked completely shiny without any scratches too.

My question is, should I be worried that I f'd something? lol..

Thanks,
    Mike

+1
    yes you should be fine here a little trick to clear the impellar next time if you feel that vibration again you have sucked up something in the impellar get to clear water put the ski in reverse slowly increase your backward motion in a straight line then turn the motor off and put it in forward this allows water to flow backwards though the impellar and most of the time clears it out it may take a few tries but it works for me 9 times out of 10

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like you had a rock or some debris stuck in the prop or the stator veins...I had it happen like you described before. just be glad you didnt have it wide open like I did

+1
    I'm sure that your wear ring around your prop took some damage, Should look into replacing it to get the best possible performance back.

You will be fine riding it like that but could have reduced power, and holeshot if worn

I pew pew lazors
    Quote Originally Posted by idoodou View Post
    yes you should be fine here a little trick to clear the impellar next time if you feel that vibration again you have sucked up something in the impellar get to clear water put the ski in reverse slowly increase your backward motion in a straight line then turn the motor off and put it in forward this allows water to flow backwards though the impellar and most of the time clears it out it may take a few tries but it works for me 9 times out of 10
    Sweet, thanks for the tip. Hopefully I don't do stupid shit like try to ride through 2 feet of water again lol

I pew pew lazors
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    I'm sure that your wear ring around your prop took some damage, Should look into replacing it to get the best possible performance back.

You will be fine riding it like that but could have reduced power, and holeshot if worn
    Well I certainly hope it's not damaged. Is there an easy way of checking or does it require pulling the impeller?

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    I'd inspect the pump stator vanes just to be sure...

Banned User
    +1
    another easy way to clear a rock is to just get into some knee deep water, stand on the side and shake the living mess out of it side to side works sometimes..... dont ask how i know hahaha

I pew pew lazors
    So is it pretty common for the vibration to be caused by something hard like a rock? Like I said before I'm really new to these machines and overall am not the super mechanical type like most of you guys around here. I'm definitely going to be more cautious in shallow water though.

Like I said before, I crawled under the trailer and the impeller and shaft looked perfect. No scratches, chips, nicks, or anything. It was completely smooth on every blade and I could nearly see my reflection in the shaft lol.

Thanks for all the comments guys. This is a learning experience for me.

Thanks,
    Mike

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by peebee View Post
    So is it pretty common for the vibration to be caused by something hard like a rock? Like I said before I'm really new to these machines and overall am not the super mechanical type like most of you guys around here.
    It doesn't take a rock to do it; even a tiny wood chip (like a small sliver of cypress wood) can get lodged in there and create the vibration you felt; most of us (including myself) have had this happen at least once or twice, if it was wood you are generally much better off because it doesn't create the damage like a rock, rocks are really bad news for PWC. And whatever you do, don't run over a ski rope. For more stuff to watch out for, see here.

Thread Information