96' Monte Carlo Only Sparking on 1 cylinder..

Hey guys, I have an Issue with a 96 640. Let me Start off by saying that ive never messed with a tigershark before, So the engines are new to me. Though they seem to have alot of kawasakis features. The thing ran just fine, cleaned the carb, took it out for the afternoon and ran the hell out of it. All the sudden it lost power and wouldnt even get on plane. The front Cylinder has lost its spark. When i pull the plug wire off while its running and no change in RPM's. Checked compression, 120 on both. I assumed it was the coil, swapped that out with a spare one I had and didnt fix it. Im going to search for some wiring diagrams tonight but just wondering if the Pickup/Trigger coil (s) would be the culprit? Anyone know what to check on these things?

Another thing that was weird, I took both plug wires off, put a spark plug on the cylinder thats firing and touched it to ground to check spark on that also and it would not spark. Put the plug back in the head and bam! Engines fires up on that cylinder. Whats up with that?

I hate dealing with electircal gremlins on watercraft. I am not really sure what probelm you got going on. I usally just have www.jetskisolutions.com rebuild my electical systems when stuff like that starts to happen. I would rather pay to get it all fixed right now then be getting towed back to the dock during the summer and be without a ski.

Sounds like a bad spark plug boot. Did you try swaping boots from front to rear and see if the problem moves? One coil for both plugs fires twice every revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by dank View Post
    Sounds like a bad spark plug boot. Did you try swaping boots from front to rear and see if the problem moves? One coil for both plugs fires twice every revolution.
    and try cutting a little off of the plug wire end

Yes I made sure the boots were on correct. I put another coil on it and have the same issue. I switched the boots to opposite cyls and the engine wouldn't even fire off then. Im going to dig into it again in the next week. Its got to be somthing small that I missed when i looked at it last....

What did you find? I have the exact same thing going on with my TS 640. I ohmed out the coil on the secondary and found that my resistance was like 4 times higher than the book said it should be. Cut the boots off and checked my resistance and was back inside the tolerancebased on the book. Have not been able to locate any new boots though as of yet to replace and check out power.....

Thread Information