Newbie needs help

Bought an 04 RXP and a 03 GTX-4TEC last week. Both skis have 40 hrs on them and they have been sitting since last summer. No winterizing other than fuel stabilizer. The 04 RXP was running great this weekend (first time out for me) and my buddy was riding it on a choppy lake..he hit a wave going 40 0r so and water came over the bow (not really bad) he let off the throttle and it died and still will not start. I have been reading quite a bit so I replaced the battery as it wasn't on a tender all winter. It fired right up for just a split second and died and will not start. No codes but the MAINT light is on when the key is first put on.

there was no water in the hull and the electronics don't appear wet. I have tried both keys and you can smell gas after prolonged cranking. Any ideas?

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kson View Post
    Bought an 04 RXP and a 03 GTX-4TEC last week. Both skis have 40 hrs on them and they have been sitting since last summer. No winterizing other than fuel stabilizer. The 04 RXP was running great this weekend (first time out for me) and my buddy was riding it on a choppy lake..he hit a wave going 40 0r so and water came over the bow (not really bad) he let off the throttle and it died and still will not start. I have been reading quite a bit so I replaced the battery as it wasn't on a tender all winter. It fired right up for just a split second and died and will not start. No codes but the MAINT light is on when the key is first put on.

there was no water in the hull and the electronics don't appear wet. I have tried both keys and you can smell gas after prolonged cranking. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Off the top of my head... check for spark, plugs, fuel filter, fuses etc. It may be worth going with the full shop manual if you are going to do your own work on it.

Ed

Thanks, I will check those tomorrow. Any idea why the MAINT light comes on at start up? Only has 40 hrs and the break in svc was done.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kson View Post
    Thanks, I will check those tomorrow. Any idea why the MAINT light comes on at start up? Only has 40 hrs and the break in svc was done.
    Maybe the dealer did not turn off the 10 hr MAINT indicator with the software during the service.

Ed

Well, bad news....it needs a motor. I didn't check this one, only the gtx and this one had no oil apparently. Expensive 20 min ride. How much labor should it cost to replace sbt has em for 2300.

Thread Information