Going for It Pump Refurb

Ok

Ive got a new impeller as pictured below, I've got a new wear ring coming and a Pump bearing refurb kit

Is there anything else whilst im there??

Has anyone got any pic's of the pump coming apart etc?? I've done a search and found bits and bobs but im looking for a idots guide style lol

Now k477 advised this which makes sense but im bricking it i might damage it
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Removing the jet pump isn't that hard - really.

Just have on hand a LONG stick of lumber, so you can lever the pump left-right to work it loose from the pump base.

As Xlint said, first remove the ends of the steering and reverse cables from the nozzles. Then remove the four LONG bolts holding the jet pump nozzle on.

Work the nozzle off the back of the pump. Put some padding down so it doesn't break if it falls.

Now you should be looking at the rear end of the large diameter stator, with the tail cone. Leave the tail cone on.

Try wiggling and pulling on the stator. If it is stuck in place, use that long board to lever the pump a little bit sideways. Slide the end of the board all the way forward, then work one side, then the other. Just a few mm each way is enough to work it loose.

Once you have cracked the corrosion, you should be able to work the stator off. Pull it straight back. The drive shaft may well come out with the stator - that is OK. Just don't fall down when it lets go

Once the stator is off (the impeller will come out with it), you can wiggle the drive shaft out of the nose of the impeller. Watch for and don't loose the little rubber bumper that is on each end of the drive shaft.
    The 2 bits of rubber ive got to be careful with will they be in my baring kit??

Do you guys want me to photo the process for future ref points? or has this been done and i cant find it??

thanks
    Neil

+1
    Neil,
    Do you have the manual for this?

Also, the driveshaft bumpers that K447 referanced will not be in the kit.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyA View Post
    Neil,
    Do you have the manual for this?

Also, the driveshaft bumpers that K447 referanced will not be in the kit.
    I do i've looked at it in the service manual but im confused by all the little off shoots of the diagram

Ill look after th elittle rubber bits then

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    ...I've got a new wear ring coming and a Pump bearing refurb kit

Is there anything else whilst I'm there??

Has anyone got any pic's of the pump coming apart etc?? I've done a search and found bits and bobs but im looking for a idots guide style lol

Now k477 advised this which makes sense but im bricking it i might damage it

The 2 bits of rubber I've got to be careful with will they be in my bearing kit??

Do you guys want me to photo the process for future ref points? or has this been done and i cant find it??

thanks
    Neil
    Photo documenting stuff is always good

Also useful are the comments and observations of a newcomer. Sometimes we don't realize or mention some of the details that may concern someone who is doing something for the very first time.

The jet pump stator body just isn't all that fragile. Many of us have needed to use leverage or dead blow hammer force to get them to come loose, even after soaking the seams in anti-corrosion penetrant.

The drive shaft rubber end bumpers will not be included in a jet pump rebuild kit. In a pinch, you can utilize flat neoprene plumbing washers of the same thickness.

There is a SeaDoo equivalent part number, if that is easier for you to source over there;
    Rubber drive shaft SeaDoo Plug (Bumper) 272000019 same as Polaris 5410663

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Photo documenting stuff is always good

Also useful are the comments and observations of a newcomer. Sometimes we don't realize or mention some of the details that may concern someone who is doing something for the very first time.

The jet pump stator body just isn't all that fragile. Many of us have needed to use leverage or dead blow hammer force to get them to come loose, even after soaking the seams in anti-corrosion penetrant.

The drive shaft rubber end bumpers will not be included in a jet pump rebuild kit. In a pinch, you can utilize flat neoprene plumbing washers of the same thickness.

There is a SeaDoo equivalent part number, if that is easier for you to source over there;
    Rubber drive shaft SeaDoo Plug (Bumper) 272000019 same as Polaris 5410663
    cool ill take lots of pics then

Would i be right in saying that the impeller and shaft will come out with the pump housing?? If so is it just a case that the shaft is splined this is something that has been concerning me

Also with the impeller replacement im guessing i need to put the shaft in a vice or clamp whilst i undo the impeller??

thanks
    Neil

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    cool ill take lots of pics then

Would i be right in saying that the impeller and shaft will come out with the pump housing?? If so is it just a case that the shaft is splined this is something that has been concerning me

Also with the impeller replacement im guessing i need to put the shaft in a vice or clamp whilst i undo the impeller??

thanks
    Neil
    Impeller is threaded onto the stub shaft (100 ft-lbs torque), which locks the stub shaft through the stator bearings.

You unscrew the impeller from the stub shaft using the impeller removal tool, then the stub shaft slides out the back of the stator. The stub shaft rear end has flat sides so you can clamp it in a vise while you torque the impeller off.

Tip: Make sure the vise can handle the twisting without breaking loose from the work bench

Then the old stator bearings can be tapped out. Tap evenly so the bearing doesn't get canted as it comes out.

I guess im gonna learn as it come apart lol

fingers crossed, my bits should be here later this week and i can crack on

Thread Information