sportfish258 on x-h20

trolling motor for pwcs

i'm a river fisherman here in the south . I Fly fish mainly for hybrids /stripers /spots/ . Has anyone mounted a retractable trolling motor in a pwc . I was also thinking about making a towable platform of sorts to use as a deck. Any ideas.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bates View Post
    i'm a river fisherman here in the south . I Fly fish mainly for hybrids /stripers /spots/ . Has anyone mounted a retractable trolling motor in a pwc . I was also thinking about making a towable platform of sorts to use as a deck. Any ideas.
    As you mention it... I have been toying around w/attaching my tiller mountable trolling motor to my PWC rack. I haven't finalized the details yet. I obviously will have to attach a length of PVC to the handle as it is quite a bit away from me. I'll post up some pix when I get this little mod finished.

PS: Welcome to the 'Hulk and where in the south are you?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bates View Post
    Haven't done it but a great idea..... When you do it please post pics. Are you planning on mounting it to the stern or use a bracket.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    ...mounting it to the stern or use a bracket.
    I would imagine a small electric trolling motor would mount nicely on the back of a PWC rack, which seems to have more and more uses.

With a little fabrication work, it could be raised and lowered easily too.

Note: Do not use the PWC battery to power the trolling motor.

I would want it to some how be incorporated into the stock steering system instead of having a tiller . Also thought of attaching high density polyethylene sheeting to the bottom of the hull for wear /rock protection. The air boat guys do it al the time. I have too many irons in the fire right now to start such an endeavor , but.....I'm sure some of you could fit it in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportfish258 View Post
    I would want it to some how be incorporated into the stock steering system instead of having a tiller . Also thought of attaching high density polyethylene sheeting to the bottom of the hull for wear /rock protection. The air boat guys do it al the time. I have too many irons in the fire right now to start such an endeavor , but.....I'm sure some of you could fit it in.
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I have seen this setup on some of the tarpon boats down here on the coast. They have some that mount to the top of the cavitation plate on the outboards. I doubt I will do this to my ski but you have gotten me interested in coming up with a design.

I've had several center console fishing boats that I equipped with the Minn Kota Riptide trolling motor AND the Co-Pilot control device. It works great!!

You have a wrist mounted remote controller for your trolling motor - you control the speed and the direction of travel with this remote.

Here is a source:
    http://www.amazon.com/Minn-Kota-Ript.../dp/B000MQKP66

Seems like this would be a good solution to mount on the jet ski BUT it is power hungry! The batteries required could become a major drawback to the utility it would offer.

Jack

Bilge Pump Converted to a light weight Trolling Motor???????

I took this idea from a website that converts a bilge pump into a thruster for under water robots (ROV). Basically its just a bilge pump, computer fan blade, and some PVC plumbing pipe. I am still working on this project and I have not yet tested it on the ski. It does seem like it has enough power to do the job!! I will post the results when done

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.JPG 
Views:	222 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	207505Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	475 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	207504Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.JPG 
Views:	1349 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	207503Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	207502

Saw this listed on e-bay, bit big and bulcky, but looks like it would work. How about two little motors, one for each side to help steering issues?

Well, sorry, I can not get a pic posted, but its under yamaha skis second page.

you posted a long time ago. Did you ever figure out the trolling motor idea? You can check out my latest post for a picture of my setup.

Thread Information