Thread: help please

help please

Any one familiar with painting the oem grab handle on the gpr, i've been told to primer and sand to get a smooth surface. Do you have to add anything to the plastic for adhesion before?

+1
    I'm not familiar with it, but if it's faded, you may be able to restore it with careful heating with a hair dryer.

They do make a platic adhesion promoter, probably not necessary though.

I'm a professional automotive painter....going to do mine soon. I'm going to wash with soap and water, dry in the sun for a day, and use a grease and wax remover several times.....this is to try to remove any grease in it. Very important

If you even think your going to paint it in the future, don't use anything with silicone in it.

1- Sand with 180 grit
    2- Primer - let dry
    3- Sand again with a finer grit- about 320-400, if it has pin holes, you will need to fill them or reprime again and of course sand again. Once its sanded smooth its ready for paint. Always use a grease remover before applying paint or primer.

4- Seal, and paint. Good idea to use a flex additive like recommended on bumpers.

Should work fine.

+1
    Sanding the texture off is a the most tedious part. The plastic is very porous, so it's a good idea to prime it, let it sit for a day or two, then sand & prime it again. Otherwise you'll end up with pinholes in the paint. I learned this from a thread on here & told a local paintshop how I wanted it after I had done all the sanding prep. Of course they didn't listen to me and there were pinholes everywhere & they even left a big ugly sag in the finish. I ended up stripping & repainting it myself & it came out perfect thanks to some tips I learned from the forum. Do a search & you'll find a few good threads about it.

I searched but had no luck, maybe you can steer me in the right direction.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GPR View Post
    I searched but had no luck, maybe you can steer me in the right direction.
    I can't find that thread anymore. Ron gave you good instructions & he's a pro, so just follow what he suggested.

After I laid down the color & a few coats of clear, I wetsanded using 800 to cut the "orange peel", then 1000 & finally 2000 grit & buffed it out with a 3M foam polishing pad. If you don't have a sander/polisher, you can pick up one of those 3M scratch repair kits sold at most auto parts stores. It comes with compounding & polishing pads and a backing plate for a drill. It's a bit time consuming with the little pads but will only cost you $20 for the kit. I did mine with a can cause I didn't have a paint gun at the time, & after a little practice & a few mistakes I got it looking as good as any shop would. Do a google search for color sanding & you''l find all the tips you need.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I'm not familiar with it, but if it's faded, you may be able to restore it with careful heating with a hair dryer.
    +1 take a heat gun and it will bring back the faded color on the grab handle. Mike(addicted) is the one who told me about.

Thread Information