+1

Need some ideas for a deck at the cottage...

At the folks cottage me and my dad plan to build a deck and we got some estimates to build it and it was almost $40,000 It's going to be 14'x25' with spiral stairs & glass railings, its also going on top of the boat lift. As you can see in the pic the motor for the lift sits 12" above the I-beams. Try to figure out the best way to raise and secure the deck to the lift. we were thinking of using 2x6 or 6x6 ran full 25' and bolted to the I-beam, then attach the deck to them. any better idea out there

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How much weight on top do you think that lift structure can safely support?
    Does the builder have any maximum specs for weight on top?

Keep in mind that side wind loadings during storms will also stress the structure (you mentioned glass railings, which don't allow the wind to pass through), and may cause the deck mass to sway back and forth.

+1
    Its over kill but we are adding more supports. 6" Glass strips spaced out, not pains of glass. Also getting an engineers ok and this is what the builder was going to do as well.

Isn't this a topic/question from last year.....or two years ago?

Anyay....instead of glass panes....have you thought of ss cable? nice look and no wind and little if any cleaning.

+1
    ya i may a thread about this last year but more on seeing if people thought it could hold the wait. just looking for ideas on how to raise and secure it to the lift. we have a couple ideas but looking to see if there any better ideas. stairs,railing, deck materials have all be picked out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Isn't this a topic/question from last year.....or two years ago?...
    Engineer's Opinion needed!!! Building a deck over boat lift.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by VaRedneck View Post
    Isn't this a topic/question from last year.....or two years ago?

Anyay....instead of glass panes....have you thought of ss cable? nice look and no wind and little if any cleaning.
    this is the look were going for... cable will just look cheap. we were just going to match the other railings. but have so many railings in a small area we decided on glass so it doesnt stand out so much. the weight isnt an issue as the builder of the lift will add bracing if needed.

http://www.livoutdoor.com/fortress/p...D2=subFortProd

yup thats the old thread, same topic but diffrent issue... little slow building it but want to keep cost down so going to make a trip to the states once we figure out want we need and get the time as its ALOT cheeper to go to the States and buy the material.

Looks...cheap?....huh...matter of opinion....I guess...subjective opinions being what they are....

http://www.atlantisrail.com/stainles...-cable-railing

re your problem of decking a foot above the current top of the frame.

Have your local steel supply place get you some box beams....bolt them on to your current frame..add PT plates....build as usual. Check out the Tuff-Beam or Tuff-joist http://www.metwood.com/

Have your engineer certify your boat lift capable of supporting the additional weight.

+1
    To each his own about the s/s cable but I have worked at homes that have it (very expensive houses) and it looks anything but cheap. You said you are trying to keep cost down. Just wait and see what you will pay for glass thick enough to meet code for fall protection. Not to mention the cost involved in mounting the glass used for the railings.

+1
    i was thinking something else with cable but the posted link does look good. Its my parents cottage and im not paying for the deck so not up to me, everthing been picked out. and with the dollar being par were going to the states to buy the railings and compisit boards so it wont cost to much.

Thread Information