home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

over heat ...thoughts???...

i run a riva plate with a heat exchanger...all has been fine for a few months.. but

rode lake ida lots of grass and crap in it.... my strainer had gotten cloged..and colapsed the screen a few rides before ..so i didnt have one in it...it was late it was fresh water so i didnt back flush...that time...

the next last time i rode ..i over heated..but it was only at wide open ...he only thing i found was i was missing the restrictor o ring on the pump...riva didnt send the new one so i used a 1/2 inch ss washer and a garden hose washer.. as a sub ...put a new strainer in it ..changed the thermostat checked the collant impellar..hooked everything back up ...ran it on the hose for a little checked for leaks..all seemed ok

just took it out..ran it med hard for about 45 min...some wide open it was 2 to 3 ft in the open so couldnt really run wide open ...i know i am a wimp.... did get a chance to run wide open a little once i got to the river..it didnt over heat but ..checked it out on the far end everything seemed ok...got back to the shop ..it was cooled down ..it did drink about 1/3 bottle of coolant...that makes me nervous a little .

dont know if i have a problem ...or it was just air in the system...and some hot cold level ill try again ...tomarrow.....and see..dont really want to do a head gasket ..bu it will be what it is..

any thoughts

+1
    Unfortunatly thats very typical of a blown head gasket. This is far more mainstream then you may think. Can actually ride for 100s of miles and be fine but once you make good boost it will push past the gasket and charge the coolant system. Seen it many many times.

+1
    Take a plastic bottle with you and put the coolant overflow tube in it while you're riding. If its the gasket you will most likely find your coolant being pressurised and pushed out the overflow into the bottle. Over heating is abviously not good for the head gasket but being that you changed thermo's and had drained the coolant it is possible it was just a burp. Hope for the best.

ya i know it is comon..the second bottle is a good iddea i hope itis just a burp...and was crap in the system..i want to ride this weekend

what affects would not having the restrictor washer have...it must have come out on one of the pump removals...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    ya i know it is comon..the second bottle is a good iddea i hope itis just a burp...and was crap in the system..i want to ride this weekend

what affects would not having the restrictor washer have...it must have come out on one of the pump removals...
    Not having the washer at all will let alot of the water pressure leak out because the restrictor o-ring is a seal.

hopefully that is what it was.... i had put a ss liner in just before that ride.....as i said it didnt overheat..this time ..

i had ordered a new restrictor washer from riva they were supposed to send it up ..i had ordered the base for my rxx hood.as well they probably are holding it until it comes in...

i figured the 1/2 ss washer and a garden hose rubber seal would probably be a good substtute.

update teh little restrictor ring was missing ..putting it back fixed teh over heat......but did need to do a head gasket soon after...
    Last edited by breon; 10-04-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Thread Information