polaris virage limp mode?

2002 polaris virage (700) I just installed a new motor and blocked off oil pump. I have not done anything to the oil reservoir which is empty. When I started the ski it would idle then as I reved it up it would hit the rev limiter and begin to bog then backfire. Does the low oil light trigger a limp mode that is causing the ski to hit the rev limiter?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do you have the MFI display connected?
    Any red lamp or messages on the display?

The 2002 Virage will RPM limit at 3500RPM in Reverse and Neutral, and during overheat. Both should show messages on the display.

There is a reverse sensing switch mounted on the bottom of the reverse lever mechanism.

The overheat sensor is mounted on the exhaust, and has a Tan wire.

There is a red flashing light that looks like an oil light. Like I said there is no oil in the reservoir. Everything was reinstalled just as it came out other than the oil pump.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdoc0608 View Post
    There is a red flashing light that looks like an oil light.

Like I said there is no oil in the reservoir.

Everything was reinstalled just as it came out other than the oil pump.
    You can bypass the oil warning. For now, just hook up the oil sender, and tie the float up so the oil warning goes away.

The better fix is to get a 33 ohm resister. Crimp spade connectors on the resistor leads, and connect it between the Black and Blue terminals in the electrical box were the oil sender used to connect.

33 ohms is the normal signal for a full oil tank

The MFI display can also show messages, not just the red light. Press the Display button if needed to see the message.

ok problem solved... i also had the reverse engaged

now that it is running, i have noticed a fuel leak from the diaphragm side of the carb. I took it off and inspected it and I am seeing two holes. The first is on the plate where the diaphragm is, it is a round hole. The second is more of a square hole and it is on the plate that the jets are screwed into. It appears that the fuel is coming out of the square hole. I can clearly the hole is not obstructed or blocked by anything on the inside so I am confused as to why it is like this. I have a few keihin carbs laying around that are the smaller version and they too have this hole but it is blocked off by the castings inside of the carb.... what am i missing?

+1
    If the carb is leaking, then take it apart and rebuild it with a new diaphragm, etc.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdoc0608 View Post
    ok problem solved... i also had the reverse engaged

now that it is running, i have noticed a fuel leak from the diaphragm side of the carb. I took it off and inspected it and I am seeing two holes. The first is on the plate where the diaphragm is, it is a round hole. The second is more of a square hole and it is on the plate that the jets are screwed into. It appears that the fuel is coming out of the square hole. I can clearly the hole is not obstructed or blocked by anything on the inside so I am confused as to why it is like this. I have a few keihin carbs laying around that are the smaller version and they too have this hole but it is blocked off by the castings inside of the carb.... what am i missing?
    I'm not sure why they have that opening, but I do know if the o-rings at the screen/needle-seat leak,fuel comes out that opening.

As K suggested, a rebuild kit will include that o-ring.

Thread Information