New guy with questions...

Greetings from South Dakota! I've been lurking the forums for a while but haven't really had the need to post anything yet. Last year was my first year out with my ski, a 2004 GTX SC. But as it has been warming up (finally) I was thinking about getting the ski out of storage and maybe taking her out on warm days. I just had a couple questions first... trust me I searched for these problems but #1 never netted any results and searching for "spark plugs fouled" just got me every thread ever created... So:

1. Is there any necessary spring cleaning/tune-ups before taking it out
    other than starting it up in the driveway? The dealer did the winterization last fall and I understand they change the fluids and fill everything up for storage, correct?

2. I was wondering if fouling plugs was really a problem with these vehicles. I never had spark plugs with me out on the lake last year and now that I think of it that seems a bit foolish if they were to foul for some reason while I was out. Should I carry an extra set with me? Change them this spring just as routine maintainance? Thanks a bunch in advance!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by MechE View Post
    Greetings from South Dakota! I've been lurking the forums for a while but haven't really had the need to post anything yet. Last year was my first year out with my ski, a 2004 GTX SC. But as it has been warming up (finally) I was thinking about getting the ski out of storage and maybe taking her out on warm days. I just had a couple questions first... trust me I searched for these problems but #1 never netted any results and searching for "spark plugs fouled" just got me every thread ever created... So:

1. Is there any necessary spring cleaning/tune-ups before taking it out
    other than starting it up in the driveway? The dealer did the winterization last fall and I understand they change the fluids and fill everything up for storage, correct?

2. I was wondering if fouling plugs was really a problem with these vehicles. I never had spark plugs with me out on the lake last year and now that I think of it that seems a bit foolish if they were to foul for some reason while I was out. Should I carry an extra set with me? Change them this spring just as routine maintainance? Thanks a bunch in advance!
    I've had 6 4-tec skis and never fouled a plug. If you feel that you want to change the plugs, I would change after my first tank of gas. your tank problably has fuel stabilizer in it. It sure can't hurt to keep and extra set with ya either.

Ed

+1
    Changing your plugs should be a part of your regular annual maintenance: Change oil, filter, o-rings, spark plugs and check coolant level if inter-cooled. Personally, I like to perform my maintenance after she wakes up from the winter sleep, but I'm sure others do it as part of going to bed in the late fall.

Two more items:
    1. How's your SC? Is there a washer issue to address or is it time for a rebuild?

2. A lot of folks don't fool w/these, but be sure to check the "other" o-rings - on the bilge plugs. I'm not familiar w/the '04 set up, but if you have them - inspect them. A split o-ring can allow a trickle of water overnight to completely fill a hull.

Thanks for the replies! I'll probably change the plugs then since I don't think that's been done since I've owned it, and maybe keep a spare set with me too. I believe she's got about 70-75 hours on her (previous owner was more of an ATV guy and didn't ride it much) and I replaced the washers with Rivas last year so the SC should be good to go for a little while yet.

I'll check about those o-rings too, thanks!

Thread Information