Wiskers

1997 SLT700 Sell as is or fix and then sell?

Ok, so any one have an idea what I could sell this unit for with out doing the update kit. I am trying to figure weather to sell it as is and let some one else put in the kit or try to not mess it all up by doing it myself and then trying to sell it... Sigh...

The Stator part scares me..

1997 SLT700, Fresh rebuild top end. Unit is in pretty good shape, a few dings on the body but does not leak. Runs well, just needs the CDI update kit. Has a trailer with it that has a life time license on it.

Update kit for CDI, stator, coil, Hurricane update kit 2873022
    sells for around $295 to $368.

I have checked the carbs and they are fresh and cleaned, Compression is good, Motor over all is good and ready to go.

All fixed and ready to go I have been told should sell for around $1300 - $1600.... Do you think I could sell it for $900 - $1000. as is???

I just dont know enough about these units to try to tackle the Stator replacement part. The coil and CDI are no problem.

Thanks for your help.

Wiskers
    Here are some photos of it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0911.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	183345   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0912.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	156.5 KB 
ID:	183346   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_0914.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	183347  

+1
    It looks like all the reverse hardware is missing. That will cut the price down a little.

KJ

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

nice looking cosmetically

but without that stuff installed, your not going to get naywhere near what you want, since finding a shop that will actually want to work on a Polaris can be tough in some parts of the country.

The stator chnage is about a 8 on the pain in the butt scale, but a ski with an ignition issue might best be parted out., you could get more money for it that way.

The stator change is tricky, only due to the tight quarters and dealing with the flywheel removal. I've done a couple and didn't lose too much of what's left of my hair.

Air gun required to crack the flywheel bolt , since you won't have any leverage in there to do it with a wrench.

Pulling a stator off pretty much sucks while it is in the ski. The easiest would be to pull the engine to change it. Engine comes out pretty easy, but then you just need the alignment tool for the pump. Parting would be the next best thing if you don't want to fix it. To repalce the stator is not that hard it is just hard to get to it. The hardest part is the removing the flywheel. Personaly if I fixed it I would keep it since I spent all that time and money on it. This comes down to how much do you like the ski and how much money and time you want to put in it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

toss up

I'll politely disagree..pulling the motor has quite a few possible pitfalls, like removing the exhaust system and removing all the motor mounts.

If you are keeping the ski, then fine, remove the motor and go thru everything ( especially the motor plate to engine bolts, which I've seen as a problem on Polaris triples ( I've had a bunch of them in the shop with loose and missing bolts )

I might call it a toss up for sheer pain, but if you are just going to sell the ski, do the stator with the engine in place. Of course if you aren't comfortable removing the fuel tank ( it's tricky to get the bolts in, and if you drop one, it's going under the tank then just part the entire affair out. )

Wiskers
    Wow, that is what I was afraid of.. sigh..

I only purchased the ski to fix and sell for a few extra bucks.

I put it on line for $1000. OBO.. maybe I should be asking less to start? I know the ski is a good ski and will run like a champ when it is done but as you said, that stator is a real pain unless some one knows how to do it themselves.

Will have to wait and see I guess.. sigh.. I just want to get it out of my garage now.. LOL.. Heck if I could even get $800 it would be gone.

Thread Information