Help buying a new 4 stroke

I have had and worked on many 2 stroke SeaDoos. I am looking to buy my first 4 stroke. Can someone tell me the major differences in a GTX supercharged and a RXP etc I am currently looking at a 2004 GTX supercharged and stupidly assumed it was the model before the RXP and RXT came out. I did some research on SeaDoo.com and discovered I was wrong but cant see any real differences. I am looking for weight handling charecteristics (it seems the motors are the same HP are they the same motor)? Easy to board from the water? Stuff like that and common problems to look for in 04 05

+1

Wow I only made it through 10 pages but some great info. THe ski I was looking at has 160 hours on it and its an older guy who cant ride anymore because of his back. He had it serviced regularly, but now I am a little weary because he said it had factory supercharger never apart. From the link it should be serived at 100 hours. I really dont want to end up with something that needs a SC rebuild even though it can probably be done for around 400
    WHat about hull and ride and speed what is the difference in GTX and RXP etc

I pew pew lazors
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    Wow I only made it through 10 pages but some great info. THe ski I was looking at has 160 hours on it and its an older guy who cant ride anymore because of his back. He had it serviced regularly, but now I am a little weary because he said it had factory supercharger never apart. From the link it should be serived at 100 hours. I really dont want to end up with something that needs a SC rebuild even though it can probably be done for around 400
    I can't answer your question on the difference in the GTX and RXP, but I can tell you that if you buy a supercharged ski from the '04 through '06 years you should seriously consider pulling the supercharger to at least replace the clutch washers. I know from personal experiece. My ski only had 45 hours on it and they were toast. I couldn't imagine a ski with 160 hours keeping the original washers.

Also, my ski was highly maintained every winter. Oil and filter changed, gas stabilizer, fogged, and stored in doors. This was done every winter for 5 years and it only had 45 hours. i.e. less than 10 hours per oil change. Internally the engine should have been flawless, and the washers still exploded.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by race24x View Post
    I have an 04 GTX SC Limited(185hp) First Ski....Bought it with 32 hrs on it.(ran 62-63 gps mph ..half tank) SC not done.. SC rebuilt this past winter(total 08 rbuild). I have done all free mods now.hopefully first ride this week.

In saying that..love the ski! very stable! (lot's of options .especially the GPS.

IF you are thinking of the GTX...would this fellow with the GTX let you check the SC (removing the intake hose to SC and see if the impeller spins freely or not)..You don't want it to spin (slip) freely.You can always deal $ with him on this.
    Just my 2 cents.

BTW... GH forum...have learned sooo much!....my wife says I am addicted to it!!!

Cheers

Bill

+1
    BTW...as PeeBee mentioned.... SC ...get it dun! ...I was lucky!! When I pulled my SC it was still in one piece.

Cheers

Thread Information