What needs to be done to pull engine?

I've got a 96 SL780 i'm trying to pull the engine in. I was riding it last year and had a wire going from the stator to the cdi box short out via the battery box strap wearing it out and causing a short. Long story short it roasted the wire from what i can tell all the way from the cdi box to the stator so i'm going to try to pull the engine out, clean the hull out and do everything the right way. At this point i have the exhaust and everything off, and the engine mounts unbolted. Just need to figure out how to take the drive off of the back of the crank so i can pull it out. Is there a special tool i need? Any help would be appreciated otherwise i'm gonna just part it out.

You need to remove the jet pump and impeller (really easy just 4 bolts and the control cables) then remove the drive shaft, which might take some tugging and swearing. remove all the wires coming from the stator inside your electrical box, remove carbs and oil line.. making sure to crimp it with vice grips or something first.. remove vacuum lines to fuel pump.. and you should be good to go. gotta remove the pump and drive shaft tho or its not going to come out. You can use the tree in your back yard to attach a rope to and hoist the motor out

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Last edited by K447; 04-15-2010 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Added links to SBT engine removal and re-installation guide

Well right now the jetski is sitting on sandbags in the garage, i've got a hoist i can pull the engine with no problem. I probably could have gotten away with only pulling the stator cover and trying to figure out where the wire went that way but i really wanted a chance to pressure wash everything out. And i'm assuming the pump and shaft have to be pulled from the bottom correct?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by git_sum View Post
    ...I'm assuming the pump and shaft have to be pulled from the bottom correct?
    No assumptions required. The info has been posted

it took me a little over 2 n a half hours to pull the motor and i had no book or any how to's just looked at it and pulled it but then again my jet drive was already tooken off before i started with
    have fun buddy lol it's not easy but after you forget to put somthing on and u got to pull it the second time you get better at it lol

+1
    good info, cant wait to work on the 1050

Thread Information