Unhappy 97 ts monticarlo 770 stuck at about 5-8 mph???????????

ok im new here,glad to see there is some support for tigershark owners!i just bought a 97 ts 770 monticarlo from a friend of a friend.i dont know a thing about jetskis and obviously he didnt either while trying to show me it would crank he had the water on and flooded engine.we took the sparkplugs out and turned it over until there wasa minimal water shooting output new plugs and a battery and it fired right updiscovered a cracked intake manifold on the rear carb manipaid way to much for part 165.00 and i installed it and broke the brass fitting that goes to the magneto the hose going to it had a gear-oil smelling liquid in it?the guy i got the intake from felt sorry for me i guess and had a used laying around and sent it to me freeso i take it to a local pond and it fires up feels good coming out the hole till ireach 5-8 mph and bogggggggggs will not accelerate any more i drained old gas out does this mean a carb clean,or a rebuild?i really would appreciate some info.oh and would that brass fitting being broke and tube not hooked to it be causing this?i pick that up tomorow thanks.

wow sounds like a lot can be going on here. If I were you I'd go over that thing with a fine tooth comb and pull everything out and have a look. The carbs could probably use a cleaning/rebuild. Check if someone put oil in the mag case (that's a no no). If it's running ok for a few minutes, it could be overheating and triggering the overheat sensor.

trying to get her runnin...

it will sit and idle with hose water connected with absolutely no problem.i found it had trouble idling in the water though,i would have to lightly stay on the gas.how much is the average resale for my ski?also wondering if its in "limp back home mode"thanks for your help im gonna pick up that brass fitting for the intake today and if that doesnt help im jumping on the carbs.if someone did put oil in the magneto case will that make it inoperable?theres a screw cap on the mag case as if your supposed to put something in it,i asked the previous owner about it and he did say the same as you that nothing was supposed to go in there...so what is the cap for ?thats wierd.from reading other threads it seems as if these skis are quite tempermental.thanks alot back to the wrenches.

If I were you I would take off that oil injection and run premix gas in there. Do you have a compression tester to test the compression?

tigershark...meat

well first i'll say thanks to you guys who tried to help.i went and picked up my charity part (the brass fitting that goes in the intake manifold and tubing runs to the front of the magneto)and it sounded way better on the hose.so i loaded it up and took it to the pond.it does the same thing only on the way back to shore it starts ticking then tapping then i shut it down.got home and its knocking sounds like atleast a full topend rebuild.i dont have alot in it but i dont think its worth putting 600-1200 in so ig any of you guys are interested in it or parts,although id rather sell it hole with the trailer you can contact me on here or [email protected] again thanks for everyones input i really was hoping i didnt get burnt on this ski but you live and learn thanks guys.

As long as your crank is ok you can get a piston kit for that motor for around $230 and then just get a full gasket kit also. Just saying you could still prob get it going if you wanted to.

if you can point me in the right direction for the parts that would be great!i have looked on-roguejets,dales,and a few others and didnt see any that reasonable but im all ears.im new to this hobby i have 05 searay 185 sport that i spend most of my summertime with had a pontoon before that wayyyyy to slow but alot of room.i spoke with my brother about the ts and hes intersted im sure i'll be helping him or he helping me if i keep it i just need to know where to find parts reasonably priced.thanks man

oh yea and to answer your question i do not have a compression tester i need to get one it would be a good tool to have im not a mechanic persay but i do everything that i can possibly do myself,brakes, waterpumps,tune-ups,rearend,tranny swaps some carb work these pumper carbs are alot different tham what im used to.

Here is one of the links for a piston kit. http://www.atlanticjetsports.com/wsm...iger_shark.htm

the only thing would be if your crank is still usable. You could always get it rebuilt but it sounds like your trying to keep the buget for this ski very low or your going to dump it. If you crank is ok just get the top end kit and get it bored over and all new gaskets and crank seals. If you do this just make sure your carbs are perfect otherwise it could end up blowing up your brand new motor. If you need any help just let us know.

hey thanks for the info!Wow so the carbs can potentially ruin your engine,i guess on account of fuel /oil mix?or fuel/air.That mustve been what happened to me because it started and idled fine just wouldnt open up.Would the engine being flooded a week before have anything to do with being in the condition its in now?

Thread Information