2001 STS 900 Drive Shaft Problem ??

Last night I was doing some preseason maintenance on our 2001 STS 900. I ran it on a hose for about 5-10 minutes. When retrieving a dropped tool from the bilge I noticed that the drive shaft and bearing carrier were rather warm. I got out my infrared thermometer and the bearing/drive shaft read 135 degrees F. That doesn't seem right to me. Everything else was nice and cool.

Additional information: at low engine speed (below about 1800 rpm) there is a rattling sound and vibration that I can't quite pinpoint a source for. It is in the lower engine area (not in the rear/pump area). It sounds like a loose/bad bearing to me but I would expect it to get worse as speed increases but it doesn't. It goes away. We have had the ski about a year but have not run it much (a couple tanks of gas is all) and it has always made this sound.

Do I have a bad or about to fail drive shaft bearing? or is this normal for this ski?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

running on the hose

doesn't allow for water to be cooling the jetpump/driveshaft assembly. Not sure if what you're seeing is normal, as I've never shot a dt at the driveshaft after running on the hose, but if you were running at a high rpm or more then ten minutes, I would expect it to get pretty warm there..you hale lots of weight and torge on a couple of rather small size bearings. As it is the center bearing supports fail from seperation, which I always assumed was a vibration issue, but maybe heat has a role there.

If you really want to be sure, you are going to have to pull the driveshaft to check for roughness in the bearings, but I expect somebody else will be along with a little better response them mine.

In any event, running on the hose for more then ten minutes in a no-no in my book. I have a little bleed off my hose I use to dribble water on the seadoo carbon ring seal to keepo that cool when I run on the hose, even for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by marka View Post
    Last night I was doing some preseason maintenance on our 2001 STS 900. I ran it on a hose for about 5-10 minutes. When retrieving a dropped tool from the bilge I noticed that the drive shaft and bearing carrier were rather warm. I got out my infrared thermometer and the bearing/drive shaft read 135 degrees F. That doesn't seem right to me. Everything else was nice and cool.

Additional information: at low engine speed (below about 1800 rpm) there is a rattling sound and vibration that I can't quite pinpoint a source for. It is in the lower engine area (not in the rear/pump area). It sounds like a loose/bad bearing to me but I would expect it to get worse as speed increases but it doesn't. It goes away. We have had the ski about a year but have not run it much (a couple tanks of gas is all) and it has always made this sound.

Do I have a bad or about to fail drive shaft bearing? or is this normal for this ski?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mark
    The bearing also is the seal that keeps water out of the ski. So when in water the external part of this bearing is exposed to the water thus keeping it cool. Yes is will get warm when running out of the water. The clanging your hearing may be the impeller touching the liner...that could mean a wallowed out(worn) bearing in the pump housing, allowing the impeller to clang around against the liner. Have you had issues than include feeling like something is slipping (like a clutch slipping on a standard trans.) or not hooking up when you go WOT on your ski? Could be pump problems. My 2000 STX had a bad bearing & the impeller was able to just wallow from side to side in the liner causing clearence problems wearing out the impeller (well sucking up rocks didn't help things either)

PEVO,

To answer your question, no the ski seems to operate fine. No problems with cavitation. At any speed it responds well to the throttle. With a moderate load (170 lb rider, 1/3 tank of fuel, not much in the storage area) it tops out at about 7200 rpm (the speedo died so I don't know what MPH).

I have not taken anything apart but I can not feel any movement or play in the drive shaft or impeller. I'm going to check the impeller to housing clearance but with the naked eye I don't see anything indicating that it is hitting the housing.

On another subject I see that you have a 900 with a primer kit on it. How do you like it (compared to the choke). What kit did you use? I have seen a couple different ones available. I didn't like the idea of removing the factory choke mechanism and using the holes for the "injection" point that most kits seem to use.

Quote Originally Posted by marka View Post
    PEVO,

To answer your question, no the ski seems to operate fine. No problems with cavitation. At any speed it responds well to the throttle. With a moderate load (170 lb rider, 1/3 tank of fuel, not much in the storage area) it tops out at about 7200 rpm (the speedo died so I don't know what MPH).

I have not taken anything apart but I can not feel any movement or play in the drive shaft or impeller. I'm going to check the impeller to housing clearance but with the naked eye I don't see anything indicating that it is hitting the housing.

On another subject I see that you have a 900 with a primer kit on it. How do you like it (compared to the choke). What kit did you use? I have seen a couple different ones available. I didn't like the idea of removing the factory choke mechanism and using the holes for the "injection" point that most kits seem to use.
    You can remove the tailcone without too much effort & look inside the impeller bearing housing to see if you have water intrusion(water will be present or at the least the grease will be lt. tan indicating water has mixed with it) The drive shaft is supported by the main bearing & the shaft is also supported my the impeller(shaft slides into the impeller via splined end) The impeller itself has it's own shaft supported by two bearings in the impeller housing. You may not notice any slop in the bearings while it's all together(i didn't on mine)...only after you pull the pump out away from the driveshaft. As far as a primer goes...i wouldn't have a kawa triple without one. Search posts by me (PEVO) & you will find all the details on my install w/pics too. All your questions are addressed in my posts.

+1
    I have a 750 STS on which the driveshaft bearing gets hot. I've replaced the seals/bearings, and re-aligned the whole thing and it still gets too warm to touch when in the water. My Ultra 150 bearing doesn't get this warm.

It seems too warm to me, but I can't really say that it's a problem.

update

I had some time over the weekend and worked on the ski a bit more. I pulled the pump and checked it out. No signs of water internally, the bearings were smooth running with no play. I smoothed out a few small nicks in the leading edge of the impeller. I checked the pump to impeller clearance and it was right in the middle of the range. Overall everything seemed fine.

When I had the pump out I was able to slide the drive shaft back far enough to disengage it from the engine coupler. I checked the rubber cushion and it looked fine. I hooked up the water and ran the engine for a couple minutes. No sign of the sound or vibration at any speed. So, whatever is causing it is likely not in the engine.

I spun the drive shaft by hand and couldn't feel any particular roughness but it really wasn't a fair test of the support bearing (I didn't want to spin the drive shaft with the engine without something there to support the far end). The splines between the drive shaft and impeller were dry (no grease) when i took it apart so I lubed them up and put it all back together.

I ran it again and the sound/vibration had changed a little (not as prevalent and only at low idle) but the bearing still got warm in just a couple minutes. I put my hand on several areas while the vibration/noise were happening. The vibration seemed to be strongest near the support bearing. It's not a strong vibration, but I still do not trust the support bearing so I guess I'll pull the engine, drive shaft, and support bearing.

I'll let you know what I find.

Mark

Thread Information