Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

using a pet tach ???

i have read the instructions as far as i can tell the setting for the 4 cyl. 4 stroke should be 22:44
    i did this and usind the lead i get nothing. but using it wireless i get a very low rpm.
    i used the lead with the clip on the #1 plug wire on top of the valve cover.

what am i doing wrong?

+1
    use the setting P:41. I wrapped the wire 3x around coil # 1 tightly on top of cylinder head holding it in place with electrical tape.

If the supplied alligator clip wire is to short, you can use 18g wire from any auto parts store or walmart. 50ft for $3.50

+1
    i was thinking the lead needed to be closer to the spark plug. on the other side of the coil?
    i will het some 18 gauge wire and use that and change the setting to :41

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    i was thinking the lead needed to be closer to the spark plug. on the other side of the coil?
    i will het some 18 gauge wire and use that and change the setting to :41
    We were having incorrect rpm readings from the Pet Tach comparing it to the Vipec logs, after increasing the gauge of the wire for the Pet Tach it started working correctly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    use the setting P:41. I wrapped the wire 3x around coil # 1 tightly on top of cylinder head holding it in place with electrical tape.

If the supplied alligator clip wire is to short, you can use 18g wire from any auto parts store or walmart. 50ft for $3.50
    Wrap around the whole #1 coil??? As in on the coil before where the wires come out???

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 5001craig View Post
    Wrap around the whole #1 coil??? As in on the coil before where the wires come out???
    i am thinking the best wat to do that is under the mounting hardware and above the wires going into the coil?
    can you post a pic so we can get a visual?
    and the more wraps around the better?

+1
    I saw a picture somewhere on this site (which I cant find right now) but it was of a Tiny Tach. It had the wire wrapped 3 or 4 times completely around the #1 coil.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gordon lasiter #328 View Post
    i am thinking the best wat to do that is under the mounting hardware and above the wires going into the coil?
    can you post a pic so we can get a visual?
    and the more wraps around the better?
    I would like to see a pic of how guys are hooking-up their Pet tach as well.

The instructions call for three to five wraps around the "tachometer". Not really sure what that is...

The pic in the instructions looks like the antenna lead is wrapped around the spark plug wire, which is what I think I should do. However, the spark plug wire is between the coil and the plug--down in the valve cover.

I would like to see a pic of how guys are hooking-up their Pet tach as well.

The instructions call for three to five wraps around the "tachometer". Not really sure what that is...

The pic in the instructions looks like the antenna lead is wrapped around the spark plug wire, which is what I think I should do. However, the spark plug wire is between the coil and the plug--down in the valve cover.
    I tried to take a a pic for you guys but it's so dark it was hard to see so let me try to describe what to do.

Unbolt your number one coil/plug boot. Wrap about four rounds of insulated wire around the top of the plug boot starting about 2 inches from the bottom of the coil. Wrap upwards for about an inch and keep it very tight and secure your wrap with some electrical tape. Locate the notch in the rubber gasket that seals the coil/boot to the valve cover with the harder prong from the boot locating it. Pull the gasket out a bit and feed the top end of your coiled wire through it. I think I had to drill a hole on the top of the top deck just below the behind the bars compartment and then feed it up through the drain hole and around the styrofoam.

The key here is to get the wire behind the rubber gasket so it doesn't get pinched when you bolt the unit down. This set up has worked for us for about 50 ish hrs so far. Good luck guys but it should be pretty easy.

When i used a tach I just wrapped it around the #1 coil above where it goes into the hole, not the length in the hole. Never had a problem.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information