SL900 swap to pro1200???

Can I put the pro 1200 engine in a sl900? What does it take if it is possible? Can I use the 900 electronics? I have both skis complete but the 1200 has no spark, and I cant register the hull it is in. please help!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The 900 and 1200 engines are physically the same, in terms of mounting in the hull.

The carbs are set up (jetted) differently, and the CDI is different.

Do you have a working CDI for the 1200 engine?
    If not, is your 900 CDI the original, or the Update Kit version?

You may be able to get away with using the 900 CDI (which is electrically the same as the 1200 CDI, if it is the Update version), but a CDI expert would need to comment on the timing curve differences.

The impeller needs to match the 1200's power output.

As far as I know they both have original ignition systems and not the updated systems.

I couldn't use the 900 stator and everything on the 1200?

I also saw somewhere that the 1200's have a jumper wire that might have been a service update to make them have spark after they loose spark?

"Polaris issued a service update on the red/purple wire going to the CDI box, which had you install a jumper that goes to the Orange post on the circuit board... well that jumper wire was bad, replaced it and problem solved!!!!"

That is what I found on PWCtoday.com

If you are going to rob the motor from the 1200 would you be interested in selling the hood off of it? Mine is cracked and I am looking for one.
    Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GopedGarage View Post
    As far as I know they both have original ignition systems and not the updated systems.

I couldn't use the 900 stator and everything on the 1200?

I also saw somewhere that the 1200's have a jumper wire that might have been a service update to make them have spark after they loose spark?

"Polaris issued a service update on the red/purple wire going to the CDI box, which had you install a jumper that goes to the Orange post on the circuit board... well that jumper wire was bad, replaced it and problem solved!!!!"

That is what I found on PWCtoday.com
    Well, you can TRY using the original 900 CDI and stator on the 1200 motor. Not a reliable choice - just so you understand that you may soon be pulling the flywheel again to do the upgrade.

You also need to check whether the ignition timing on the original 900 CDI is 'safe' for the 1200 motor

What you might be able to do is sell the original SL900 CDI and stator separately on eBay, and thereby reduce the overall cost of buying the upgrade kit. Some buyers just want to install the exact same part number that they currently have, and will buy the old ignition parts (provided the old parts still work).

The service bulletin is safe to apply to any domestic CDI. It is really just moving a single CDI wire to the Orange terminals. Completely reversible if there ever was any need to change back.

You can find more details in the links from my signature

Thread Information