Drive shaft carbon seal questions

hey guys, Thanks in advance for any replies. My question is this . How much clearance is there between the carbon seal and the drive shaft? Is the actual sealing surface the flat surface between the seal and the metal collar? I've only had my ski for one season and am trying to make sure it's ready to ride for summer. I know that some amount of water should be able to get to it because that is what lubes it. Have vacation in two months so If this is something I need fixed I want to do it now.

+1
    the carbon seal should push up against the flat washer on the driver shaft. that is the only thing that seals it. really the only things you can do without putting it in the water is inspect it and the rubber boot.

push the ring back against the boot to get a look at the face. makes sure theres no chips, scrathes, or anything that looks bad. check the face of the washer also. the main thing to check is the boot itself. loosen the clamp at the hull and spin the boot around looking for tears or holes.

when you put it in the water for the first time, ride it with the seat off and watch the seal for water spraying out of it when the motor is running. you will know pretty quickly if it is leaking. then just enjoy it.

Thanks bro, That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. Im in fact getting ready to head out to do just what you are recommending. All that clearance had me spooked. The rest of it all looks pretty good. With only 3-4 mo. of riding here you have to be ready to go before the sun hits.

Went to the Columbia River yesterday to check things out. After backing it in I pulled the seat and pulled the carbon seal back just a hair and had water. While it was up against the metal collar not a drop. Fired it up on the trailer and watched for water. Still nothing. Well by this time I figured it was time for a test drive. Dry as a bone. Water was colder than a well diggers a$$ and the sun wasn't shinnin to bright so buzzed around for a few and called it good.
    Last edited by RumRunnerRon; 04-17-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Update

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Good deal!

Just food for thought- If you ever get something wrapped around your driveshaft, more than likely, the accordian boot got punctured. If you do see water after a high speed run, this is most likely your problem. I chased this for months once. It would only leak running wot.

On your accordian boot, clean the mating surfaces with carb cleaner. You don't want oil on there at all, it will burn up the carbon ring. The SS ring should have a metal C clip on the driveshaft underneath it. Grab it and slide it rearward to expose the clip. If it's a rubber oring, then it was never updated, and needs to be. If you get a little cavitation out of the hole the boot may not be applying enough pressure against it to seal properly, and is sucking air when you nail the gas. There is an easy fix for this though.

If you get a little cavitation out of the hole the boot may not be applying enough pressure against it to seal properly, and is sucking air when you nail the gas. There is an easy fix for this though.
    I Have a buddy with a 99 XPL doing exatly this. Changed the wear ring, Impeller, and carbon ring. Still doing it. Thinking that is his problem because once the ski is on plain and he gas's it it takes off! Only cavitates for a few seconds from a dead idle!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ktyamaha36 View Post
    I Have a buddy with a 99 XPL doing exatly this. Changed the wear ring, Impeller, and carbon ring. Still doing it. Thinking that is his problem because once the ski is on plain and he gas's it it takes off! Only cavitates for a few seconds from a dead idle!
    Its either the rubber seal against the pump support not sealing or the pump support is leaking air between the hull surface and the plate.
    I have had 98 xpls with this problem but not 99s. If that's the problem its a bitch of a job to fix but done correctly it will never leak again. Use sikaflex to seal it when re installing and don't for get to put the shims back in place around the studs as this aligns the pump support plate to the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    Good deal!

Just food for thought- If you ever get something wrapped around your driveshaft, more than likely, the accordian boot got punctured. If you do see water after a high speed run, this is most likely your problem. I chased this for months once. It would only leak running wot.

On your accordian boot, clean the mating surfaces with carb cleaner. You don't want oil on there at all, it will burn up the carbon ring. The SS ring should have a metal C clip on the driveshaft underneath it. Grab it and slide it rearward to expose the clip. If it's a rubber oring, then it was never updated, and needs to be. If you get a little cavitation out of the hole the boot may not be applying enough pressure against it to seal properly, and is sucking air when you nail the gas. There is an easy fix for this though.

Thank you sir, I will check for that clip. Don't think Im getting any cavitation but I will remember that tip. Ski comes up on plane nice and fast. Impeller and wear ring were replaced about a month before I purchased it. Just waiting for the water to get a little warmer.

Thread Information