Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1

    And the BS never ends with supercharger failures

    The BS never ends with some dealers with charger failures,I was looking at a 2007 s200 with the 430hp that was for sale on the internet,I asked the person selling it if the superchargers had been changed to metal he said he did not now,he then goes on to say he did have a supercharger fail last summer and the dealer fix it,so I asked him to ask the dealer what there procedure was for replacing broken washers and this is what he said the dealer said

    Hi Steve,

    I just spoke with the guys at Ecko Marine, which is the place I service my boat. They say when the ceramic washers fail, the engine isn't harmed, because if anything breaks off, it will end up on the inter cooler, and not in the engine. They also said that to upgrade from ceramic washers to metal washers is approx $700 with parts and labor. My boat has the ceramic washers. The ceramic washers usually fail when the wrong kind of oil is used. They said to only use BRP oil, because it's mineral oil. When synthetic oil is used, it is too slippery, and the washer fails.
    You might have known all that, but just wanted to pass on the info that I got from the dealership. If you got any other questions or further interest, send me an email

    Thanks

    It just never ends,I guess i will pass on that one!!

    Steve


  2. #2
    So whats the point of this thread? The washers are designed to do exactly what they do, thus the need to replace them every 100 hours. The synthetic oil degrades the washers over time and will cause them to fail, not seadoo's fault that people can't follow directions. Page 69 of my owners manual, "NEVER, use synthetic oil in these engine."

    What percentage of supercharger failures are caused by user error 99%?

  3. #3
    83Gator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Amant, LA
    Posts
    6,018
    +1
    304
    I think the point of his thread was to say that they're still numerous engines out their w/ceramic washers (poor engineering) that are owned by people who are clueless. And that if you don't do your homework, your going to pay for it in the end. I prob. would have remained as one of the "clueless" until I stumbled across this sight. Thanks GH community.

    I say "poor engineering" b/c even SD eventually converted to metal washers. Sure, folks were damaging their machines if they used the wrong oil. But what about the folks who were using OEM spec oil and were still loosing their washers at 30, 40 & 50 hours. Plenty of those horror stories out there... It's kind of hard to follow the directions in the manual when you can't even get that far.

    Kudos to Steve "Bearit" for doing his homework.

  4. #4
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    8,725
    +1
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by CypherAZ View Post
    So whats the point of this thread? The washers are designed to do exactly what they do, thus the need to replace them every 100 hours. The synthetic oil degrades the washers over time and will cause them to fail, not seadoo's fault that people can't follow directions. Page 69 of my owners manual, "NEVER, use synthetic oil in these engine."

    What percentage of supercharger failures are caused by user error 99%?

    Gator sums it up very well. CyperAZ, I hope you dont have a motor with ceramic clutches in the SC, because chances are you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

  5. #5
    Bearit the only BS here is what your dealer is feeding you.

    The ceramic clutches cannot get caught in the intercooler. ITS IMPOSSIBLE. They get caught in your oil pumps which in turn grind them to a sand like consistency. After this they circulate through your whole engine eventually destroying your journal bearings and in turn you whole engine.

    Switch to metal washers now or we will all be happy to say "We told you so" when they go and ruin your $8,000 engine.

    Consider yourself warned!!!!

  6. #6
    Mod less, ride more! troyheb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Nederland, Texas
    Posts
    8,725
    +1
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by cfnnslsq View Post
    Bearit the only BS here is what your dealer is feeding you.

    The ceramic clutches cannot get caught in the intercooler. ITS IMPOSSIBLE. They get caught in your oil pumps which in turn grind them to a sand like consistency. After this they circulate through your whole engine eventually destroying your journal bearings and in turn you whole engine.

    Switch to metal washers now or we will all be happy to say "We told you so" when they go and ruin your $8,000 engine.

    Consider yourself warned!!!!
    Its not his boat. His post said he was looking to buy and asked the owner if it has had any work done on it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by cfnnslsq View Post
    Switch to metal washers now or we will all be happy to say "We told you so" when they go and ruin your $8,000 engine.

    Consider yourself warned!!!!
    Holy crap, I didn't know that was the fate of ceramic washers. I'm a noob though. Figured it was just the SC going south. I know my '03 GTX ski had 'em and I sold it with 91 hours with no issues. I think my '07 Speedster 150 215 has got 'em.. only 20 hours but I'll address after this season.

  8. #8
    GOT BOOST? Dockside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,879
    +1
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by CypherAZ View Post
    So whats the point of this thread? The washers are designed to do exactly what they do, thus the need to replace them every 100 hours. The synthetic oil degrades the washers over time and will cause them to fail, not seadoo's fault that people can't follow directions. Page 69 of my owners manual, "NEVER, use synthetic oil in these engine."

    What percentage of supercharger failures are caused by user error 99%?
    LMAO more like 1%... cant wait till you have one fail your new so well give you a chance to do a search and a little reading as you clearly have alot to learn. The fact is its a bad design but nothing we can really do but use metal washers and better spring washer to help maintain the slip. also good to do the 08 oil nozzel upgrade for the suercharger.

  9. #9
    GOT BOOST? Dockside's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,879
    +1
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy on the water View Post
    Holy crap, I didn't know that was the fate of ceramic washers. I'm a noob though. Figured it was just the SC going south. I know my '03 GTX ski had 'em and I sold it with 91 hours with no issues. I think my '07 Speedster 150 215 has got 'em.. only 20 hours but I'll address after this season.
    GET THOUGHS WASHERS OUT ASAP. DON NOT WAIT

    your 150 215hp is a time bomb waiting to go off so pull that charger off and send it to jerry. about $100 for washers or $5000 for a motor cause you didnt switch out the washers, your call though

  10. #10
    83Gator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    St. Amant, LA
    Posts
    6,018
    +1
    304
    +1. The riding season is almost here... but not totally. Do it now - the turn around time is fast and you'll be on the water w/plenty of season & peace of mind. Cheapest insurance you can get.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. supercharger failure and lost drive gear, is this common?
    By RXPJake in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
  2. ran the ET 137 wheel with 42s and RR ECU
    By dhoad in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-11-2008, 08:40 PM
  3. Another supercharger failure to share with you guys
    By Green Hulk in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 04:14 PM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-14-2007, 04:57 PM
  5. What is it with the stock Solas 15/20R and the RR ECU?
    By Jarrett in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •