+1

97 SLT780??? any good??

well, long story short I went out and bought a xp800 and now my brother wants in on the fun. He's been looking for his own now. one of my buddies has a 97 slt780 thats been sitting for two years. Not sure on the hours, but the motor is super clean. we're these good skis?? how fast are they and how do they compare to my xp?? He said $500 bucks and I can take it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by WBoulton View Post
    well, long story short I went out and bought a xp800 and now my brother wants in on the fun. He's been looking for his own now. one of my buddies has a 97 slt780 thats been sitting for two years. Not sure on the hours, but the motor is super clean. we're these good skis?? how fast are they and how do they compare to my xp?? He said $500 bucks and I can take it.

if it runs its a heck of a deal.. and if the ski isnt all beat up on the outside..

carbs will need too be inspected fuel system as well,

my buddy had that ski he likes it .. about 48-50 mph i think... maybe faster..

some one that knows more about them could answer your questions better

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Polaris side

Whether it is a good deal all depends on the details.

If the engine is good condition on the inside, and the rest of the hull and such is also in good condition, then it may well be a good deal.

The question with any PWC engine is whether there is any rust inside the engine. That can be hard to tell without pulling it apart.

If it was fogged with engine fogging oil when it was stored, then the engine may well be just fine. If it was just shut down and put aside for two years, then there is more of a risk.

If it starts and runs, that is a good sign. But it does not guarantee that the engine is good inside.

Be prepared to do some important preventative maintenance.

Do not just go riding it right away, not even for a test ride. Unless you are really careful, a partially clogged carb or other fuel system problem can burn a hole through a piston in minutes.

Does it come with a trailer for that price?

Ive got a 97 780SLT and i think its cracking holds its own against alot of the newer ski on the water, this forum is a great resource to get the ski working correctly and ensuring everything is ok

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome to the Polaris side

Whether it is a good deal all depends on the details.

If the engine is good condition on the inside, and the rest of the hull and such is also in good condition, then it may well be a good deal.

The question with any PWC engine is whether there is any rust inside the engine. That can be hard to tell without pulling it apart.

If it was fogged with engine fogging oil when it was stored, then the engine may well be just fine. If it was just shut down and put aside for two years, then there is more of a risk.

If it starts and runs, that is a good sign. But it does not guarantee that the engine is good inside.

Be prepared to do some important preventative maintenance.

Do not just go riding it right away, not even for a test ride. Unless you are really careful, a partially clogged carb or other fuel system problem can burn a hole through a piston in minutes.

Does it come with a trailer for that price?
    knowing my buddy it was probably never fogged. at the same time he may have never really ridden it that much, he's got 4 or 5 pwc's. the inside of the hull looks brand new. the outside is a different story. it had no cover on it and it was sitting outside. I was gonna clean the carbs before I took it out. It did start right up when I put some gas in it. only things I see wrong with it is it's dirty and the cable for the reverse is snapped. I can probably talk him into giving me the trailer with it.

At least you could probably make your money back parting it out if it doesn't work out. You can get head gaskets prety cheap if you want to pop the heads off to take a look the pistons. The come off real easy. More than likey you need to clean the carbs and maybe rebuild them. Carbs kits cost an average of $50 each and you have 3 of them.

Thread Information