Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Trade in 2 for 1

Hey guys. I am looking to trade in my 04 RXP and 03 GTX 4tec supercharged... I hate when these posts come up but I am really not sure about the trade in stuff. I have never traded in a machine. Those have a 2 place trailer both have about 125 hrs and are in mint condition. I am looking to get into 1 2010 RXPX with a single place trailer. I really only have about $1,000 spending cash that could make the deal go down. I figure the two machines and the trailer are worth around 12k plus 1000 cash puts me at 13k. The MSRP is 13,500 but I know they are selling 09's for 11 or whatever so I know they have room to work. I hear that I am only taxed on the cash I pay for the machine so may only be taxed up to 1000 which could save some money on a new one. Anyone know dealer pricing. I have a dealer up here that is really good at dealing. Sold my buddy a 2010 ski doo and took a trade in and only made $100 profit off the whole deal. We have dealt with him for years. I plan on going in this weekend to talk. Just want to see if I am reasonably close on this deal or my math is way off. Thanks guys. P.S. We have bought 3 jet skis and 10 snowmobiles from this dealer in the last 6 years. He pretty much sells stuff to us at cost and just takes the trade ins and doesnt try to make a profit.

Based on the used prices I've seen around, the dealer would take a bath on that deal if they agree to it. I think you'd be hard pressed to get $12k if you sold them private party, so that means the dealer would have to ask more like $14k and I just don't see that happening.

You might get $10k as a trade in for both skis, and that's if the dealer really likes you.

You are usually taxed on the difference of what you trade in and what you buy. So if you trade them in for $12k and buy the new one for $13k (hypothetical), you only owe tax on $1k.

Your first mistake is trading them in. Take some pics and post them on here and Craigslist and see what happens. If you dont get any hits on them then take the hit on trade in. Trading vehicles in is very easy but you are literally losing thousands of dollars by doing that. Have a little bit of patience and try to sell them out right first.

Yea i know, trading in always sucks. But I will see what happens this weekend with the dealer and how he wants to talk. I just saw a dealer selling a 2010 rxpx for 13 with a trailer. If i could get 12 then i could make the deal happen... thanks for the input though. I know its going to be really hard to get 12k on the trade in

what do you guys think about trading in for an 09. the dealer gets rid of one of there 09 models and ive seen them otd for 10,500.

Chase

Look to try and find a dealer who has an abundance of 09's. Those are teh guys who are going to be looking to try and get rid of their skis fast. Gotta remember that dealers are starting to feel the heat with 09's in their showroom because Seadoo is trying to push new product on them and if they are not willing to purchase the new ones from seadoo, it can be detrimental to their overall raiting with brp. In fact some dealers have told me that at this point if they still have 09's they are beginning to lose money out of their poclet because it has been almost or over a yr in the shop. Detroit boat show had sub 10,000 for an 09 (tax not included) and then raised it to around 10,300 towards the end of the show. if those deals were there at one point in time you can get them to come close to them again.

+1
    there is no way you will get $12k for your skis with 125 hours on them. I bet he offers you $8k... unless you really know the dealer and he likes you. def. try to sell them outright, you are going to get raped by the dealer...

yea gotcha, I am really close to the dealer. He has a bunch of 09's sitting around too. I am hoping for maybe a straight up trade 2 for 1 on an 09 then? I dont know. We will see how negotiations go on friday.

+1
    good luck my friend

lol thanks man, we will see how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information