Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

06 GTX.. "Dangerous to ride"

My dad just bought a used GTX 185 he claims it's unsafe... because the hull is unpredictable..... at low steady speed... the boat dives or darts through the wake.....making the ride really bad...... under wot not near as bad....
    so i'm assuming....

a pump wedge? opas block offs or the paddle risers may help?

would sponsons have much to do with straight line????

Sounds to me like he should start with more ride time. Then worry about fixing things that might not be broken.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dontletitfoolya View Post
    My dad just bought a used GTX 185 he claims it's unsafe... because the hull is unpredictable..... at low steady speed... the boat dives or darts through the wake.....making the ride really bad...... under wot not near as bad....

so i'm assuming....

a pump wedge? opas block offs or the paddle risers may help?

would sponsons have much to do with straight line????
    I have an 04 GTX Limited (185 hp) . Stock,except for rebuilt SC and plate holes filled. Have run it in all conditions at varying speeds...Handles REALLY well. Also (as pic shows) ski behind it short line( 39 1/2 off) at 36.(mph). Again..no problems.

You check to see if your OPAS is running true?

Cheers

is it like really really bad? My Aunt has an 06 GTX N/A and it rides fine. It sometimes will lean one way or another, but it doesnt "dart around" in waves. How often has your dad ridden a PWC? Watercraft are never really "predictable" in choppy conditions.

He's actually owed three or four... when he used the term "dangerous" he used it loosely.... however, he realizes it doesn't handle well at all... i'm assuming there is definately an issue with the opas.... how do you check to see if there running true?.... and the boat seems as if it rides on the nose..... i have an rxt x and it doesn't have this issue... however i noticed that with the trim down it has similar characteristics.... however it doesnt like to turn left........right is fine... left is like a semi trailer... even if you "punch it"........i dont like the opas on my ski... coming off very soon...... but as for him.... i'm not really anti-opas.... but i want to correct his ski... so he is happy or comfortable riding it..... Thanks for the input!!

A wedge will make it squirrely-er at speed...at the same time will make the steering less responsive at slow speeds with block ups.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dontletitfoolya View Post
    He's actually owed three or four... when he used the term "dangerous" he used it loosely.... however, he realizes it doesn't handle well at all... i'm assuming there is definately an issue with the opas....
    how do you check to see if there running true?....
    and the boat seems as if it rides on the nose..... i have an rxt x and it doesn't have this issue... however i noticed that with the trim down it has similar characteristics.... however it doesnt like to turn left........right is fine... left is like a semi trailer... even if you "punch it"........i dont like the opas on my ski... coming off very soon...... but as for him.... i'm not really anti-opas.... but i want to correct his ski... so he is happy or comfortable riding it..... Thanks for the input!!
    put the steering stright and make sure when bars are stright that the steering nozzle is exactly stright in the back.
    If that is good then look at the opas padles and make sure are the exact same distance from hull. IF one is off then you can adjust it.
    If there off, then it will affect the turning.
    If they are off you should be able to tell by turning the nozzle all the way in both directions and one will not go as far as other.

+1
    There is a certain lower RPM where the nose on some of these hulls can start to wander or search, and it can freak somebody out a little if they're not an experienced rider. That might be what he is feeling, but it's normal and you get used to it after using the ski for a while. Just to be safe, get under the ski and check the all grate bolts carefully, make sure that intake grate is not coming loose on you.

+1
    I agree with YoYamma - check the bottom of that boat before riding it. Something may be loose or broken. That hull is stupid easy to ride. So much so I would put my young kids on it without thinking twice.

Pay special attention to the opas and the intake grate.

Much ado about nothing?

When I read the title I was expecting to hear about exploding GTXs or something , not a little issue with stability - the title seams a bit misleading, don't you think? Just saying...

I better return to the Kawi section before these guys can get the torches and pitchforks out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information