Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

trouble starting 97 gp1200??

I purchased the ski a few weeks ago and it was performing great the first 5-7 times out. than the past couple days I have been having trouble getting it started. it will crank till the battery is dead, I than jump it from my car and it still takes about 30 seconds of cranking to start. It has also been bogging down very hard at times (almost to nothing) and playing with throttle will power it back up to full speed and accelerate hard(about 58 on the stock speedo). I compression tested the motor(125 each) and tried putting in new plugs with no luck. the gas filter looks very clean as well... any ideas? thanks in advance

check if you have sparks coming from the plugs (search for instruction). if yes, im guessing the carb need some cleaning or rebuilding. if no, you have electronics problem.

+1
    If the carbs have not been cleaned and rebuilt for awhile it, a carb rebuild is due there are some internal filters that clog over time. I would also highly recommend a primer kit to, this saves a lot of battery life from having to crank so much. You also want to make sure that there are no other fuel feed restrictions, problem areas are the fuel selector switch gets corroded, and the fuel tank sending unit has a little trap door on it and a screen that can cause issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    If the carbs have not been cleaned and rebuilt for awhile it, a carb rebuild is due there are some internal filters that clog over time. I would also highly recommend a primer kit to, this saves a lot of battery life from having to crank so much. You also want to make sure that there are no other fuel feed restrictions, problem areas are the fuel selector switch gets corroded, and the fuel tank sending unit has a little trap door on it and a screen that can cause issues.
    x2

Thanks everyone, I have put a new gas filter in, am rebuilding/ cleaning all the carbs, wiping out the tank, and switching to premix, should have this all done by thursday and Ill keep you posted on my gps top speed, also found out I have a aftermarket rideplate and aftermarket aluminum trim tabs which I didnt even know when I bought the ski a few weeks ago.. how fast should I expect on a gps?

+1
    60 if running good

Thanks, hopefully I will reach 60. I cleaned out the tank last night, as well as installed the oil block off plates, I have the mikuni rebuild kits that I will be rebuilding/ cleaning the carbs with tonight so Hopefully I will have it on the water thursday or friday to get a gps reading.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pete6053 View Post
    Thanks everyone, I have put a new gas filter in, am rebuilding/ cleaning all the carbs, wiping out the tank, and switching to premix, should have this all done by thursday and Ill keep you posted on my gps top speed, also found out I have a aftermarket rideplate and aftermarket aluminum trim tabs which I didnt even know when I bought the ski a few weeks ago.. how fast should I expect on a gps?
    YAY

Ok so I converted to premix, and rebuilt the carbs with new mikuni kits and reeds.Took the ski out tonight.. The fastest I could get was 56.6 on an inexpensive hand held gps and it was on pretty smooth water, no pourposing during top speed. I was wondering why I could not get to 60 with an aftermarket rideplate and aluminum trim tabs? I may have used too much oil in the premix. I also have an sbt rebuild that runs about 6600 top rpm, Im thinking about getting a group k solas impeller to try to reach 60, Im also going to seal the intake and do a little fiberglass repair in the next few weeks. anything else I can do?

+1
    Shim a few washers under the front bolts....until it starts to bounce....then back off 1

This will help big time!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information