Thread: SPX questions

Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    +1

SPX questions

Two questions about a '94 SPX:

1. What is the best way to get a ride plate off a donor without braking it?

2. When swapping engine mounts over to the new body, do the factory shims stay the same, or is there a way to measure the tilt difference?

+1
    Best way to remove the ride plate is with a long pry bar and a razor blade.
    Carefully wedge the prybar between the ride plate and the hull, and SLIGHTLY push down on the pry bar until the top of the pump shoe begins to flex away from the pump tunnel. Take your razorblade and begin to cut away at the sealant. Its not fun and you have to be patient. There is also two flat spots on the side of the ride plate that bond to the pump area, it will make your life easier if you can get some sort of a blade up there and cut the sealant. Again be patient because if you start prying the shit out of it without breaking the sealant bond, the ride blate will break around the pump shoe. Maybe theres something easier but that always worked for me.

As far as the shims, the shims under the motor mounts are there to make up for unconsistencies in the hull. Best thing to do is get yourself a alignment tool and shim the motor once its in its new home. I bought one from SBT for like a $ 150.00 . Good to have one around.

Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post

As far as the shims, the shims under the motor mounts are there to make up for unconsistencies in the hull. Best thing to do is get yourself a alignment tool and shim the motor once its in its new home. I bought one from SBT for like a $ 150.00 . Good to have one around.

+1
    ....this is especially important for older skis as hulls and engine plates can sag. Some people think they are OK by just replacing the shims that came out of the spot they took them, but this is not correct due to the sagging issue.

Here is the easy way

I have done this with a dozen 96 XPs. Cutting the glue is helpful but not necessary. Mount a small bottle jack(one you can get at K-mart, Walmart,etc) between the ride plate and the hull, place a small flat piece of wood on top of the jack to keep from damaging the hull. Slowly jack the plate away from the hull. I used to to do the pry bar method, but ended up damaging the fiberglass on every unit we did. Hope this helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    I have done this with a dozen 96 XPs. Cutting the glue is helpful but not necessary. Mount a small bottle jack(one you can get at K-mart, Walmart,etc) between the ride plate and the hull, place a small flat piece of wood on top of the jack to keep from damaging the hull. Slowly jack the plate away from the hull. I used to to do the pry bar method, but ended up damaging the fiberglass on every unit we did. Hope this helps.

Tried this....Cracked the ride plate. Seems logical however.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by WOT 88 View Post
    Tried this....Cracked the ride plate. Seems logical however.
    Your supposed to take the bolts out first! J/K

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    Your supposed to take the bolts out first! J/K
    I plead the fifth , I would never overlook a fastener.

Saving the Manuals every day.. TheBlueMartin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
    I used a normal hydraulic automotive jack (with some boards spreading weight on top and bottom) and it worked like a charm. Slow and steady was the way to go. Now I just have to grind all the old sealant off...

Now, how do I shim the new hull to the old engine?

Thread Information