Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thumbs down 260X....First Rides Issues

OK, I picked up the new ride last Saturday Even though it was only 56 deg. at the lake I had to take her out.....thank goodness for wet suits!

I unloaded and started out, but couldn't remember if I had installed BOTH drain plugs, so I pulled the seat and had a look. It was damp in the engine compartment, kinda steamy, so I went a few feet back to shore to confirm. One plug was out, so i installed it and went on our way.

It took 5 mins. to get out of the no wake zone...perfect, just like a textbook break in...nice and easy. Rode a few miles up the river just cruising and varying speed. Buy the time I was ready to head back, I had some time on her, so.....I gave it some throttle. Then a little more and things were getting up to speed when the power dropped off and the boost gauge dropped at the same time. At first I thought it was miss firing, but it was not violent like an ignition miss. Really soft and lazy then it would pick back up. I figured I had gotten to much water in the hull and the belt was slipping. I thought I'd leave the seat off this week and let things dry out completely.

Well I took her out today for a 55 mile ride, had the moisture in the engine compartment, and intermittent loss of power above 5500-6000 rpm with boost varying all over the place again!

I ran it with the seat off while on the lake and was unable to find any leaks at that time. Maybe I'll take it down to the river this week and run it on the trailer and look w/ a flashlight and mirror. It is wet behind the engine near the belt the most.

I think I remember hearing sizzling when I shut it off w/ the seat off. Would I be looking for an exhaust leak. If it is leaking @ the 4way exhaust port, how big is that job? The dealer I would take it to is 45 miles away, so it would have to be worth the drive. If it is a simple, cheap fix, I'll take care of it myself.

How much water do these things normally take on in smooth water? I remember the 12F's being bone dry after a 90 mile ride.

I ordered the service manual, belt tensioner gauge, and OE pump wedge from the forum store. What else do I need? I wanna upgrade the pump soon using the 2010 shaft. What is needed for that? Impeller tool only?

Is all the play in the steering normal? I know there are a few more moving parts in the tilt setup, but this is ridiculous! Can anything be done there with out replacing the whole thing w/ aftermarket parts?

Once I get this stuff sorted out, this thing will be pretty cool. My wife is bent now that I can walk away from her. She is talking about an upgrade now! I told her she would need to get a second job to pay for the fuel. Mine burned 15.4 gals. to her 6.2

Thanks for any input you guys have to offer.

Tony

+1
    steering normal.
    very little water in the hull, unless you are being a stunt rider and burying the nose in donuts, or out in the surf.
    do the pump mod with con ass nut.
    Check all your exhaust clamps.
    Check all sc clamps.
    Check belt tension (1/4 of a twist on the bottom long section)

Take it back to the dealer, dont tamper too much dealers can be good and dealers can be *&()&*$&#_)

+1
    the big red flag is starring you in the face boost all over the place thats where i would start check all hose clamps and not just visualy i never trust a dealer pre delivery not even on a car/bike/truck or my ski sad but true

+1
    I've got zero water in my hull after 55 hours of riding last summer--it's sorta surprising. You've obviously got an issue. Did you check with your dealer?

I'm with jet250 on this check your hose clamps, especially the exhaust and super charger clamps, my exhaust hose was loose from factory causing water to come in the hull and loss of power.

I'll check all the clamps, then head to the boat ramp and have a look. I see nothing while running on the hose.

I figure if I can't find it, the dealer won't either. Why waste the trip? I'll find it and fix it myself and save the wasted trip. Or if it's something they should fix......then I can show them where to look.

You guys know what I'm talking about....you drop it off, they check it on the hose and find nothing. Then I take it out and have the same issue. Then I have to take it in again......etc. etc. etc.

Is the tech going to take it to the ramp? I don't think so.

Took it to the river and ran it for 1/2 hour varying engine speed. No water or steam present in the hull.

Maybe the water was left from the first outing? She is dry now.

I guess I'll tighten any clamp in sight, double check the crimped ones, and snug the charger belt a tiny bit. Next trip will tell all.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCooter View Post
    Took it to the river and ran it for 1/2 hour varying engine speed. No water or steam present in the hull.

Maybe the water was left from the first outing? She is dry now.

I guess I'll tighten any clamp in sight, double check the crimped ones, and snug the charger belt a tiny bit. Next trip will tell all.
    block off the BOV while you are at it

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    block off the BOV while you are at it
    I was eyballing the BOV mod, but it seems the design has been changed and this one is all metal. I figured no need to eliminate it since I'm not racing. I don't NEED more power. What I want most is reliability and at least 10 mpg would that be asking too much? LOL!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information