Burning holes in rubber hose.

Hello,

I have a 1996 xp that I acquired at the end of the summer in 09. Only rode it like 3 times. Ski runs great, but I'm running into some issues. on my last ride last fall, I burnt a hole in the rubber hose that connects the exhaust and the water box. SO I ending up going to the local dealer and ordered a replacement part and tried the install the new one and it happened to be the wrong size. Its was 2 inch in diameter, which I went down to Napa and brought 2 1/8 inch stick house which is the same material as the replacement part that I originally ordered. So I installed it I cut the new hose about a good 2 inches longer installed it. Completed a test run on Saturday after 45 minutes of riding. I blew another hole, does this hose have to be so short that the exhaust pipe and water box outlet have to be practically kissing each other to prevent from this occurring again??? Has anyone experienced this issue before?

You have a problem with water flow into the pipe. That is what is causing the hose to fail. Check the cooling water flow into and out of the pipe.

+1
    I would say your PRESSURE REGULATOR ASSY on the water box is either blocked or not operating how it should.It should always flow water to the mid pipe section of the exhaust when operating properly it should flow stronger at low revs and then a little less at higher revs but it always should flow water as this is the only way of cooling your couplers through the exhaust system.

+1
    I had the same problem. Inferior hose material did me in. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36639

Re: Burning holes in rubber hose.

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF
    I would say your PRESSURE REGULATOR ASSY on the water box is either blocked or not operating how it should.It should always flow water to the mid pipe section of the exhaust when operating properly it should flow stronger at low revs and then a little less at higher revs but it always should flow water as this is the only way of cooling your couplers through the exhaust system.

I think it is a combination of the pressure regulator and the hose gap.. Where can I obtain this hose at other than the dealer? Dealer sold the wrong size.. I will tinker with it this weekend..

Check to make sure the small angled brass fitting at the top of the pipe is not obstructed

Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    +1 Yep, that'll do it alright.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    Your treading on thin ice especially with that rear formed hose, if it's burning a hole in the hose because the waterbox is getting overheated then who is to say it's not doing a number on the rear outlet. I had one overheat because of that water regulator and the end piece came off while i was in 20ft of water!!!!! I gunnned it fast enough to get to shore, if that hose comes off the end at the rear and your far from shore the engine will choke itself out with the exhaust gas and your FUC$$$!!! your boat will sink!!!

Thread Information