+1

96 Polaris - possible purchase

Hi,

Im looking to possibly purchase 2 - 1996, Polaris jet ski SLX's ( on a double trailer ) with 40 hrs each. wanted some general info ( the pros and cons, if you will ) ?

THANKS!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Polaris side

In 1996 Polaris sold PWC with two different engine types; blue painted Fuji engines and red domestic engines.

Both types can be quite reliable. The Fuji engines are all three cylinder; 650cc, 750cc, and 780cc

The domestic engines came in 700 (two cylinder), 900cc and 1050cc three cylinder versions. The domestic engines put out more power per cc than the Fuji.

The SL models are two passenger designs, but really ride best with just one person aboard. The SLT models are three person hulls.

Other owners tend to really like them. The SL hulls can be really playful, and even the larger SLT models are still fairly good handling.

At 14 years old, engine hours aren't as important as the current mechanical condition. Poor storage practices can allow the engine internals to rust.

Are these machines in running condition?

The links below will get you started

I am thinking of buying a PWC. Any tips?

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?
    What to do to get it running, keep it running, and avoid potential damage

Click here for guidance to help you get your Polaris PWC running properly, and keep it on the water.

+1
    Yes, they do run, but will need batteries - the guy said he's always kept them in door, but didnt go over his storage procedures. They have the blue engines....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW78 View Post
    Yes, they do run, but will need batteries

- the guy said he's always kept them in door, but didn't go over his storage procedures.

They have the blue engines....
    Tip: Only use high quality batteries in Polaris PWC. The best are factory sealed AGM type batteries.

The number one storage question is; did he fog the engine internals using fogging oil?
    If yes, that indicates the owner knows about proper engine storage.

Fogging oil is typically sprayed down the carb throats just prior to storage to coat the insides of the engine with the sticky fogging oil.

Fogging oil protects much better than the regular 2-stroke engine oil.

Storage in a dry location helps a lot, of course. But keep in mind that often the exhaust system has water left inside when the machines are put away. That moisture is able to work back through the exhaust system and into the engine. That is why it is important to have oil in the engine to coat the steel roller bearings and such.

If the engines have been run on the water recently, that is a good thing.

Idling and revving up without a load on the trailer means it starts,, but not necessarily that all cylinders are in good condition.

+1
    Ive got a comp. gauge, whats a good psi level?

anything really to take notes of when I look at them, ESPECIALLY if I cant drop them in the water?

Thanks a bunch for the info!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW78 View Post
    Ive got a comp. gauge, whats a psi level?

anything really to take notes of when I look at them, ESPECIALLY if i cant drop them in the water?...
    Compression is measured with all spark plugs out, a strong battery, throttle held wide open.

Measure each cylinder twice. Variation between highest and lowest cylinders should be within 5% for a really healthy engine. Anything over 10% variation means engine work.

Exact PSI number will vary depending on the particular compression gauge you use, but generally runs about 120PSI, or a higher.

Read through the previously provided links for more things you should be looking for.

+1
    Thanks again for all the info!
    And will do on the reading!

Compress check those engines and if they have the water hose hookups you can have them started out of water just for a few mins to hear them run and make sure no major problems. Most people put the water hose hookups on them. If you start them put a voltage meter on the battery to make sure they are charging since changing the stater pretty much sucks. If he won't start them or put them in water I would offer lower money since you are taking a chance on them.

Thread Information