Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bad Starter? 1996 XP and 1996 GSX

Just picked up a 96xp. I can charge a new battery, put it in the ski, it will crank and begin to start. The Engine will die because of lack of fuel (im guessing) after it burns all the stuff i put in the carb. I then try to crank again and it doesnt work. However if i leave it sit for a bit, or charge it it will crank again. If i keep trying to start it it will try to crank, but not even go through one revolution. When i feel the starter it gets really hott after trying this, and so do the batt wires through the solenoid. If i take the plugs out it will crank all day long. Do i need a new starter? Or should i try cleaning the connections? Was thinking about a high torque one.

I also think i need one for my 96 GSX also, or a solenoid. On this one I have to tap the start button and it will crank after about 5 taps or so.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    have you cleaned the fuel system yet? have you replaced the fuel lines? Check your grounds. take a set of jumper cables and attach to the ground and a clean metal spot on the motor. leave the positives hang loose. Also have you done a compression test yet?

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    have you cleaned the fuel system yet? have you replaced the fuel lines? Check your grounds. take a set of jumper cables and attach to the ground and a clean metal spot on the motor. leave the positives hang loose. Also have you done a compression test yet?
    after searching and finding nothing i of course post this, then i continue searching and find some answers just like you are saying. The 96xp has a rebuilt motor, so im sure the fuel lines have been changed, but i remember them being grey or black. I will have to check. If i change them along with the oil lines how can i prime the system so the oil mixes properly?

Compression is a hair under 155 in both. I now think i will either cut the wires and put new clamps on with the heat shrink or just make some new wires. Have some 4ga wire from car stereos, will that work?

Also just bought a $80 sealed battery from wally world, havent opened it yet because i thought the other batt was too weak. But now i think i will take it back and order an odyssey batt, or will the walmart one be fine. My gsx and standup need a new one this year.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by wakeboardfusion View Post
    after searching and finding nothing i of course post this, then i continue searching and find some answers just like you are saying. The 96xp has a rebuilt motor, so im sure the fuel lines have been changed, but i remember them being grey or black. I will have to check. If i change them along with the oil lines how can i prime the system so the oil mixes properly?

If they are gray they will need to be changed. open the carbs and clean the screens also. as for the oil lines you dont need to change them unless they are cracked or broken. if its the crank supply just change the lines and fill the tank...it will work on its own. as for the oil injection pump you have to pump the oil into the lines and then hold the pump wide open and it will prime itself.

Compression is a hair under 155 in both. I now think i will either cut the wires and put new clamps on with the heat shrink or just make some new wires. Have some 4ga wire from car stereos, will that work?

Compression sounds good. I think that the 4ga will work...never tried it tho.

Also just bought a $80 sealed battery from wally world, havent opened it yet because i thought the other batt was too weak. But now i think i will take it back and order an odyssey batt, or will the walmart one be fine. My gsx and standup need a new one this year.
    the wally brand should be fine...as long as its cranking out 12.5V...if the batt is just a bit weak it will be hard to crank and possibly not start, I usually get a sealed batt from auto zone or napa

Update. Cut wires and installed new ends. Also added another ground. I soldered all connections, but had a weak pencil torch so i dont know how good they are soldered on. From a fresh charged battery it will crank the first time, but i have to charge it after. Voltage drop when trying to start goes from 12.56 to 7 volts when trying to crank. Is this still a wiring problem? Starter? Batt? Solenoid? Or should i resolder the wires, or install all new wires?

Im going to to try to install the batt straight to the starter and see what happens.

EDIT: Put batt straight to the starter, goes from 12.4v to 8v and does not crank, it just clunks. Do i take the pump off to see if it is binding, I can freely move it by hand with the spark plugs out except when the piston goes to tdc I think. Or do i get a new starter? I hear good and bad things about high torque and to get an oem one.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    A seadoo will not turn over with anything less than 10 volts. If you can turn the engine over without the plugs in then there will be nothing binding in the pump since the motor is tied into the pump through the driveshaft.

9 times out of 10 the only problems with starters is worn out brushes, check to see if your starter is getting hot whne your trying to turn it over.

Quote Originally Posted by seadoobutch787 View Post
    A seadoo will not turn over with anything less than 10 volts. If you can turn the engine over without the plugs in then there will be nothing binding in the pump since the motor is tied into the pump through the driveshaft.

9 times out of 10 the only problems with starters is worn out brushes, check to see if your starter is getting hot whne your trying to turn it over.
    Yes the starter gets hot. Is it the brushes?

I would take the starter apart and clean it up. the brushes are made of brass and they wear out after years of use. After that the brushes don't make great contact with the armature and that will cause it to heat up. A new brush kit from seadoo is about 42 bucks and it's easy to put in. If you put your ear down by the starter it will make a funny noise when it's trying to turn over the ski.

i took it apart and whiped it up with wd40, put it back on and it worked better. Looks like new brushes for me. Also it said denso or something on it, is that the stock brand?

Just take your time and the brushes will not be that bad to install. Denso is the stock starter from seadoo. Good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information