Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1100 zxi jetting

im new to working with watercraft engines im usually working on my quad,
    i have a 96 1100 zxi and i think i need to change the slow jet to a smaller size, i have to feather the gas tell around 3500 rpm's and thats the only thing i can think of that would cause it. it has a keihin cdk carb on it
    i was wondering if i was going to need any gaskets to take it apart and reassemble it. and if anyone has a diagram or how to for taking it apart or could point me in the right direction i would appreciate it, i donnt know where the slow jet is located so im just going to start disassembling it tell i find it and i can only find diagrams of the cdk 2 carb

please guys i really need help now i got my jets switched and everything back together but now it doesnt look like any fuel is getting to the carbs, is there something i have to do to get fuel in the lines before the pumps start working?

+1
    Well before you do any changes to jetting richen the slow speed fuel screw a 1/4 turn out on each carb it sounds like to me you have the carbs set to lean or they have been setting for sometime and may have some blockage causing it to run lean.
    If you have to feather the throttle til it gets past 3500rpm your lean but an easy way to tell is will it run better with the chock on part way if so your lean then try the slow speed fuel screew first if it makes it better your lean.
    Also before you start changing jets I would ask your self if it got good fuel in the tank and if the carbs are clean First. If so and the fuel screew helps then go up one jet size but I had the same boat and ran a set of Prok air filters and a head and only had to change the fuel screew settings no jetting.
    but if you must here is a pic of the carbs look at part number 16158 its the slow speed jet its a 72 only change to a 75 if needed.
    you wont need gaskets just remove the carbs and remove the 4 screews taking the outer cover off there is a gasket and a Diaphram the jets are under that and there brass the slow speed or pilot is the smaller one.
    Good luck

we worked with the air/fuel mix screw and we've tried running with the choke on, the leaner we got the better it got the jetski was brought from sea level to 5000 ft.
    i appreciate the diagram thats better then any of the ones i found

Then leaner you get the worse it should get. I have been fighting this same issue on the same exact ski and it seems to be a problem with this carb on this ski. In my case I believe it is the pop off isn't right. I think I have it right now but I won't be able to test this until Friday because I am waiting for a new starter. It will start fine even from cold, idle fine, but if I grab it from idle to WOT it would bog. If I eased into the throttle then grab it to WOT it takes off fine. Your mixture screw settings should be this...

1100 - Low Speed – 1-1/8 +/- ¼
    High Speed – 1 +/- ¼

If you have to turn them out more then 2 turns you need to check your pop off and if it is right then check your jets assuming the carb is clean. I was told jetting really won't make much of a difference on this carb when it comes to a lean bog. I don't know if I agree with that though. So make sure the pop off is right and then go from there. Your ideal adjustments should be 1 turn out on both or at stock specs. It would take jetting to get it at 1 turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
    Then leaner you get the worse it should get. I have been fighting this same issue on the same exact ski and it seems to be a problem with this carb on this ski. In my case I believe it is the pop off isn't right. I think I have it right now but I won't be able to test this until Friday because I am waiting for a new starter. It will start fine even from cold, idle fine, but if I grab it from idle to WOT it would bog. If I eased into the throttle then grab it to WOT it takes off fine. Your mixture screw settings should be this...

1100 - Low Speed – 1-1/8 +/- ¼
    High Speed – 1 +/- ¼

If you have to turn them out more then 2 turns you need to check your pop off and if it is right then check your jets assuming the carb is clean. I was told jetting really won't make much of a difference on this carb when it comes to a lean bog. I don't know if I agree with that though. So make sure the pop off is right and then go from there. Your ideal adjustments should be 1 turn out on both or at stock specs. It would take jetting to get it at 1 turn out.
    ill look into this, thank you for the reply very helpfull

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

tricky stuff for a newbie

and don't try to apply other experience to PWC carbs, you'll muck things up in a hurry.

Totally different animal then quad carbs.

plenty of info and pics here to gain some info from.

the boys have put you on the right track.

my advice, don't change anything that isn't made out of rubber fiber or plastic.

except spark plugs.

And I'm at 4200 feet, haven't seen much in "high altitude adjustments" needed except for one polaris that was hacked by somebody who had no idea on how to tune a ski.

We're the caps on the mixture screws when you went in there?

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    and don't try to apply other experience to PWC carbs, you'll muck things up in a hurry.

Totally different animal then quad carbs.

plenty of info and pics here to gain some info from.

the boys have put you on the right track.

my advice, don't change anything that isn't made out of rubber fiber or plastic.

except spark plugs.

And I'm at 4200 feet, haven't seen much in "high altitude adjustments" needed except for one polaris that was hacked by somebody who had no idea on how to tune a ski.

We're the caps on the mixture screws when you went in there?
    i don't know my brother is the one that played with those so he messed them all up, and i have a question now, i dropped the slow jets out of habbit and it changed before i did that we could only get it started by pulling the cover off and starting fluid, it fired right up with the smaller slow jets so it definetelly improved, is there another thing that could have caused this
    (and yes i know dumb thing to do drop the jets and risk frying the pistons but i wanted to see it (were ordering the larger jets)) so do i assume i was going in the right direction or should i tear the carbs out again and jet it way up
    its improvement but i trust you guys judgement over mine on this and you guys are saying go up

You are going to get mixed opinions when it comes to jetting. It is not a bad thing, but IMO it should be your last resort. Some like to tune around the jets and do it first. I like the idea but some other pro tuners I have talked to around here say you don't have to and it should be last. So it is not a bad thing if you wanted to to that. Especially on a stock ski. Focus more on getting the pop-off set on each carb. Then from there adjust your idle mixture screws. Set your idle first, then set your lows, once those our dialed in then go to your highs. If you are having to turn your screws out more then 2 turns then that is to much. Ideally you want to only have to turn them out 1 turn or to stock specs but then that is where tuning around jetting comes into play to get that to happen. If you have them out 2 turns or more and you are still bogging then your pop-off is set to high. First and foremost get the pop-off set first then set your mixture screws. If you are certain your pop off is perfect and you are still having to tune the screws out to much then you can re-jet. But be careful because then you can cause yourself to have a rich bog which you can not tune out and will have to start all over with new springs and do your pop-off all over again.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

some excellent advice

ski vendors spend millions to get these things "right", if the engine is stock you have nuthin to gain by trying to one-up them. Folks try to fix the wrong problems with jets. I'd be quicker to say your waterbox is clogged up first...or you have a rag stuck in your air intake ( true story on a yamaha 1200)

I have a kaw in the shop now with a terrible idle midrange bog. First time I took a crack at it I found that "somebody" hadn't put the diaphragm back correctly on the center carb!

This was prior to the arrival of the test tank..a lake check showed it ok..but now it's back with the owner complaining it's no better then it was..so maybe that diaphragm popped off again..but now I have to pull the rack and go thru everything again.

Once you get setting pop-off down, it's not terribly complicated. You do need a good tester however and some finesse in mangling small parts

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information