Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: flywheel holder

flywheel holder

hi guys,

i am starting to reassemble engine on my 700 virage. my problem is i don't have a flywheel holder.since this is my first overhaul,i'm not sure how hard it is to crank the nut on the flywheel.could i put the puller bolts on the flywheel and wedge it so it doen't turn while putting the nut back on.or any other ideas.are flywheel holders a pretty much one size adjusts to all.sorry for the inexperience on this matter. thanks

matt

Put a wrench on the pto coupler, as you tighten the flywheel nut you will tighten the coupler as well, make sure to use thread locker on them

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You can also use the rope trick. Search on here for the details. Rope goes in the MAG cylinder for flywheel work

+1
    there is a trick with a rope... but i have never done this before... fromwhat i read it works good

you need too..

rotate the engine so the mag (front) piston is at tdc (top dead center) then back it down just a little... then get some clean rope and feed it down the spark plug hole.. make sure its good tight rope not frayed.. put enough down there that the piston wont move...

the reason for brining it to tdc is so that you do not get the rope stuck in any of the ports..

then you work on taking the fly wheel off.. some times they come easy some times they dont.. from what i have read...

but also do a search on here just in case im missing somthing.. but this has been coverd before!

alright guys.thanks a lot for the advice!! this is a great site,i will use the advice tonite.once again thanks for all the helpful info.

matt

+1
    I will be putting mine back together this weekend and was planning on using this method.

Put a wrench on the pto coupler, as you tighten the flywheel nut you will tighten the coupler as well, make sure to use thread locker on them
    Is there anything wrong with it????

+1
    it's 100 ft-lbs on the nut if I recall correctly. Thats harder than a small block chevy head bolt..............................70 ft-lbs

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BiXLL View Post
    ...Is there anything wrong with it????
    Well, it means you are torquing the entire crankshaft from end to end. It should be able to handle the torque, but still...

The wrench flats on the PTO coupler can also be difficult to apply a lot of torque to.

The rope trick has the advantage of zero risk of twisting the crank shaft index out of phase, since the MAG piston's crank web is directly connected to the crank shaft snout.

Torque spec for the Virage 700 domestic flywheel nut;
    18mm nut - 65 ft-lbs

Apply Loctite 262 (Red) to crank shaft taper
    Apply Loctite 242 (Blue) to nut threads

The rope trick works just fine, I just don't think it is wise to apply that much force to the top of the piston, seems like the needle bearing would take the brunt of the force applied.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thester71 View Post
    The rope trick works just fine,

I just don't think it is wise to apply that much force to the top of the piston, seems like the needle bearing would take the brunt of the force applied.
    Up to you, of course.

The force at the piston from tightening the flywheel to torque spec is similar to that experienced during engine operation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information