Hydroturf help! Waverunner rear deck

Hi All,
    I was after some help with replacing the large single piece of hydroturf on the deck at the back of my friends waverunner 02fx.... I've the got all the other foot pads all done now its just that large piece at the back thats got me scratching my chin....

So I understand I have to remove the rivets right? mainly because with the turf kit I got a bag of 6 pot-rivets...
    Im guess I can from under the lip at the back of the deck/rear of ski snip the protruding rivets off and then that flat strip between the corner plastics comes off??
    Basically i dont want to cause myself more work/agro than needed. Anyone done it and add any words of wisdom?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mark.wood19 View Post
    Hi All,
    I was after some help with replacing the large single piece of hydroturf on the deck at the back of my friends waverunner 02fx.... I've the got all the other foot pads all done now its just that large piece at the back thats got me scratching my chin....

So I understand I have to remove the rivets right? mainly because with the turf kit I got a bag of 6 pot-rivets...
    Im guess I can from under the lip at the back of the deck/rear of ski snip the protruding rivets off and then that flat strip between the corner plastics comes off??
    Basically i dont want to cause myself more work/agro than needed. Anyone done it and add any words of wisdom?

thanks!
    Remove the corner plastic parts by drilling the rivets out, slide the centre part of the strip out to reveal the rivet heads holding the strip on. Drill the rivets out with a drill slightly smaller than the head of the rivet, then reverse the procedure.

Thanks for the help, will go for it at the weekend wish me luck!
    Are you guys actively on the water yet or waiting for it to get a little warmer?

Quote Originally Posted by mark.wood19 View Post
    Thanks for the help, will go for it at the weekend wish me luck!
    Are you guys actively on the water yet or waiting for it to get a little warmer?
    I've been out once, and it's fine in the sun, but the water's still cold! I've even temted fate today by buying a 'shortie' wetsuit (although it'll be June before I expect to wear it!). Good luck with the mats. By the way, the inner piece of the plastic strip slides out sideways with a little persuasion, don't try to prise it out of it's channel in the outer section. Also, just use the drill to knock the head off the rivets, then push them through the hole with a punch or similar. Where are you based? Cheers, Dave.

Cheers Dave, we ski in the south east, Herne Bay, Dymchurch/New Romney way...

Going out this Tuesday, fingers crossed on the sun

Heres a good website:
    http://www.oceanweather.com/data/NorthSea/sst.html

different pages for wave height and sea temps....
    dont look at the temps one for too long it

I think I replaced the rivets for the corner pieces with stainless bolts and nuts. This tends to pull it a little tighter. Might be different for yours. I also used a large bag of salt to keep pressure on it while it dries. The large rear piece will tend to bubble if you don't keep constant pressure on it. The salt bag or something similar also countours to the shape of the rear deck. Hope this helps.

Thread Information