Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Exclamation well i think my jet pump bearing siezed help

so i was out on my gp1200r today after rebuilding the carbs, i only had been on it for 2 mins before i felt i could start getting on it and as soon as i planed off i gunned it and the thing squeeled an extremly loud sound and fell off of plane. i shut it off and looked at the intermediate housing bearing and i could visually see the balls inside of the bearing? i shouldnt see those right? and upon starting it up again the thing wouldnt move anywhere it just squeeled, i dont think its the motor since it seemed to run fine when i just started it for a second after this incident, so let me ask you guys this, do i need to pull the engine to get out that bearing housing? i sure hope i dont because i dont know if i need special tools to do that. i plan on starting tomorrow so please shoot some advice thanks alot guys

+1
    but what i want to know is why i had a minimal amount of pump pressure still when i started it back up? not enough to really move the jet ski though. it sounded like hell so i shut it right back off, heres the bearing. the pto coupler looks fine.

picture of the bearing is attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00006-20100420-1401.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	707.0 KB 
ID:	184102  

It sounds like you have stripped splines on the drive shaft and inside the intermediate shaft. Same thing happended to me this past summer. If you remove the airbox and the 4 motor mount bolts you should be able to slide the motor forward in order to clear the two couplers.

+1
    So what would that entail? If that's the case a new shaft on both sides? Could I have just spun a bearing or something? But that does make sense... Is there any diy for removing the pump and coupler and what not? Because I have a shop manual but it would be easier to look at a diy

Pull the pump so you can inspect the drive shaft splines (remove the four bolts that fasten the pump to the impellor housing). The edges of the splines should not be rounded.

Slide the engine forward and remove the midshaft and housing which will allow you to inspect the inside splines.

I recommend replacing the drive & mid shaft as a pair. You could probably get some good used parts in the classifieds. You also may want to consider replacing the bearings at this point.

Check out the yamaha "how to" section as there are several tried and trued methods of doing this procedure....I'll try to post some of the links I used for my rebuild.

+1
    its just so strange how min's after i got the engine running right the jet drive shit out. you do have to move the engine forward to pull the bearing i took a picture of? so ill have to take out the pipe then? the stinger is already out obviously. and the battery box out too. damn though that sucks i wish it was something more simple but it does sound like that makes sense. i dont know why it would even start up and have a little bit of jet pressure if the bearings were binding. it should still have plenty of jet pressure in that case but just very difficult to start the motor, which it isnt.

From what I've learned it's very common for this to happen. There's two rubber o-rings that typically fail over time which is inside the back of the midshaft where the driveshaft slides into. Water gets in there and the splines eventually corrode until torque from the motor strips it out.

+1
    So if this is the case, what will I need to buy? And how much money would you say the parts are? I'm at work so I can't look it up at the moment, but since you have done it before you probaly know, I will tear it apart tomorrow

+1
    look first, buy parts later. snatching the pump off will tell you what's next.

+1
    i will tomorrow morning, is there anything i should know about taking it apart in particular? what will be the hardest thing to get out? i hear that the splines are usually stuck or something?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information