Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Got Boost? psycho rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Posts
    5,445
    +1
    182

    Low Compression??

    If I'm getting 90psi in the front 2 cyls, and 140psi in the rear one, Is it safe to assume it's a bad head gasket?
    I'm experiencing coolant loss, but not sure where it's going.
    It's not in the oil, and I can't see it in the hull. It's not smoking (just steam) from the exhaust, and it still runs, and idles great. When the coolant disappears the high temp alarm will come on for a few only after a WOT pass or 2. I can't get it to sound on the hose tho. It still ran 79.2 a few days ago , I just have to keep adding coolant for now till after the FRS next weekend, I hope she holds up till after .
    Last edited by MikeTrin; 09-18-2006 at 05:30 PM.


  2. #2
    Red Devil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chesterfield/Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,809
    As for the coolant loss, did you check the drain plug on the ride plate?

  3. #3
    Jason: do you have access to a coolant pressure test kit? if so, pressurize the system, don`t go beyond pressure rating on cap! You`ll know then where it is going...PR...

  4. #4
    Got Boost? psycho rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Posts
    5,445
    +1
    182
    The drain plug is tight.

    I tried to use my napa kit , with a snap on adapter, and it wouldn't seal correctly, so I couldn't get that tested . I ran it again today with the bottle full, and ran the puke tube through a hole in the hood cowl. At full boost I could see it coming out of the tube , so that means it has more than 13 psi in the cooling system, blowing past the cap.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp
    The drain plug is tight.

    I tried to use my napa kit , with a snap on adapter, and it wouldn't seal correctly, so I couldn't get that tested . I ran it again today with the bottle full, and ran the puke tube through a hole in the hood cowl. At full boost I could see it coming out of the tube , so that means it has more than 13 psi in the cooling system, blowing past the cap.
    IF I had to guess, sounds like a head gasket

    althougth any pressure present in the coolant tract from cylinders should blow it out all the time, not just when boost is present.

    you could pull plugs to see if they look remarkably clean, and if you can see piston top, that should be cleaner than the last cylinder as well...PR...

  6. #6
    mtrager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Orlando, Florida, United States
    Posts
    2,443
    +1
    2
    Jason,

    How can you run 1 mile per hour off your best time with 2 cylinders 40 lbs off in compression ?

    I would shut that thing down untill you get it fixed.

    You do not want to hurt that thing for anything.

  7. #7
    CRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Auckland, NewZealand
    Posts
    335
    Sounds similar to what mine did and now I have a cracked block. The open deck block that the 4tecs have are prone to "bore walking" or "bore chatter" when you get up to the sort of HP that it takes to push your ski to 80mph.The Honda import guys have the sme issues when they start pumping some boost. Mine started running on 2 cylinders when you opened the throttle wide but would run on 3 up to about 2/3 throttle. Kept running it trying to figure the problem thinking it was electrical next thing it gets a high temp warning. Let her cool down and started her again but she just fired the water out of the coolant bottle. I'd be very careful if I was you at this point your ski will only get worse not better.Sorry to sound all doom and gloom but you don't want to end up looking like this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGA0742.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	8282   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGA0745.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	15.7 KB 
ID:	8283  

  8. #8
    Jarrett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Waxahachie, TX
    Posts
    3,011
    +1
    77
    How long had each of you been running the B Kit when the problems started?

  9. #9
    Got Boost? psycho rxp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Posts
    5,445
    +1
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrager
    Jason,

    How can you run 1 mile per hour off your best time with 2 cylinders 40 lbs off in compression ?

    I would shut that thing down untill you get it fixed.

    You do not want to hurt that thing for anything.
    Well, I really don't know how long the compression has been low for . I just happened to check it when I was changing plugs last time. I wonder what speeds I'll see when the compression is good on all three cyls . I've been getting the H temp alarm for a while now, after a WOT pass, but the bottle keeps loosing coolant. I ran it yesterday,with a 15 psi cap, and I saw the coolant coming out of the overflow tube. So it's building too much pressure for the cap.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp
    Well, I really don't know how long the compression has been low for . I just happened to check it when I was changing plugs last time. I wonder what speeds I'll see when the compression is good on all three cyls . I've been getting the H temp alarm for a while now, after a WOT pass, but the bottle keeps loosing coolant. I ran it yesterday,with a 15 psi cap, and I saw the coolant coming out of the overflow tube. So it's building too much pressure for the cap.
    I would seriously not run that machine until you find fix what`s going on...PR...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What to do about low compression
    By johnsonmtz in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-25-2008, 01:04 PM
  2. low compression
    By jmule98 in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2007, 09:33 AM
  3. restoring low compression
    By qbzonk in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-21-2007, 06:09 PM
  4. Low Compression? Help!
    By jason3814 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 10:25 PM
  5. Low compression on #2 cylinder on 787
    By skikodiak in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2007, 05:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •