What's going on?

Hi all. I am trying to seal the exhaust outlet to the hull on my XL1200Ltd (next to the pump), but each time I tighten the 3 bolts, the rubber gasket squeezes out of shape, and causes water to leak past it, and into the hull. It goes back to shape when I slacken the 3 bolts off, but that means the seal won't be tight enough! Should I ditch the rubber gasket and use sealant, or am I doing something stupid? There doesn't seem to be any mention of sealant or torque settings in the manual. Any thoughts? Thank's, Dave.

+1
    Maybe it is just time for a new gasket. For the time being use 3M-4200 or 5200 sealant in conjunction with the gasket. If you use the sealant on the gasket, let it set up and cure, then try and tighten the three bolts, this should help the gasket to stay in shape while your tightening.

Quote Originally Posted by 97GPSLEEPER View Post
    Maybe it is just time for a new gasket. For the time being use 3M-4200 or 5200 sealant in conjunction with the gasket. If you use the sealant on the gasket, let it set up and cure, then try and tighten the three bolts, this should help the gasket to stay in shape while your tightening.
    Thank's for your thoughts. I am using a new gasket, and I've used silicone between the gasket and the outlet pipe (and let it cure), but not between the gasket and the hull yet. It just seems odd that it doesn't mention any form of sealant in the manual, but thank's again. I appreciate any ideas!

Thread Information