Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pictures of my rack and ski

Well I finally got a chance to get some pictures after I put everything on. I mounted the transducer on the back got tired of looking for a place inside. I havn't been out year but I give you credit Gator. I can almost life up the back of my ski from the rack it is so strong. I plan to go out in the St. Johns river this weekend and will share my experience. Btw I didnt have poles in them but the pvc on the rack makes 4 pole holders. If you have questions, suggestions, or comments please make them. You might see something that could improve that I didnt.

+1

Looks Great!

Really good job I'm assuming you must have made a minor change or two to "mold" it to the Kawi, and if not - it's good to know the design is that versatile.

Here's a few comments:

1. If you need extra rod holders, go back to the Vert. Rod Holder DIY. They're cheap, easy to make and work well.

2. Just curious - are your ratchet straps crossed across the bottom of the basket? (Hard to tell in your pix.) If not, try crossing them and the straps should form an "X" on the bottom of the basket. This will help to keep the rack from shifting left and right. But like you said: If it's down good enough to p/u the rear of the ski - it's attached!

3. Get some 1" foam pipe insulation and pad the bottom of the rack where ever it makes contact w/your mat. Use it enough w/o the insulation and you'll get rub/wear marks in your mat. Ask me how I know. As a matter of fact, double it on each pipe, but you don't have to seal it or tape it on. Just tighten the rack down on top of it. This is a cheap solution.

Yes, please post pix of your trip and no BS about the one that got away.

I did shorten the width very minimal to sit on the mat.

Don't mind the 91 Superjet in the background I am thinking about selling it, engine is all stock. Hard to let it go, alot of memories.

The strap were crossed I went and looked at them. I am curious at how many trips before they rust to hell, they are only harbor freight cheapos lol

+1
    I wondered the same thing (rusting cranks on the straps). Bought mine at Wally World, for less than $20 bucks, I think... Anyway, I make a point to hit them w/the Bombi XPS spray lube before each run, then rinse n spray after each run.
    That's been 2 years now... No rust yet.

BTW, tell me about the "pickle bucket" strapped into your rack - live bait?

Pickle bucket? I am guessing you are talking about the clear bucket on the left side? It was an old plastic bungie tube, I cut out the bottom a little so the handle of the anchor fit through so I had somewhere it wouldnt clank around. I may find more uses for it instead once I get out there.

If your talking about the 5 gallon Lowe's bucket lol then thats what I will probably turn it into is live bait, mud minnows or fiddlers. Just need to get one of those portable Hush Bubbles. Although most of the cheap ones say they can't touch water so I guess I will have to fork up the money for a good sealed one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cowthief View Post
    Pickle bucket? I am guessing you are talking about the clear bucket on the left side? It was an old plastic bungie tube, I cut out the bottom a little so the handle of the anchor fit through so I had somewhere it wouldnt clank around. I may find more uses for it instead once I get out there.

If your talking about the 5 gallon Lowe's bucket lol then thats what I will probably turn it into is live bait, mud minnows or fiddlers. Just need to get one of those portable Hush Bubbles. Although most of the cheap ones say they can't touch water so I guess I will have to fork up the money for a good sealed one.
    Uhm, sorry (Pickle Bucket) actually a term used in canoeing/camping: A 5 gallon bucket with a lid, used for waterproof storage. ie - the 5 gallon Lowes bucket. I fig. that's where you were going...

On another website, I actually saw a couple of threads about converting almost any container (pickle bucket/ice chest) into bait wells and livewells. Basically, you need an alternate power source (small 12 volt battery w/an in-line toggle switch, container w/lid, a length of tubing, a small bilge pump and a piece or two of pvc pipe. Can your figure out the configuration?

+1

Cowthief, et al:

My advice, don't leave home w/o these or something similar:

Fish grip: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...-box.jsp.form1

Bait/hook removal pliers: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...003&hasJS=true

is that PCV pipe? if so, does it flex a lot? just curious, this setup looks good!

Does not flex at all. It is very sturdy and I could stand on it, i'm 220lbs so you know its got some backbone. Schedule 40 helps with that.

Will PVC rack stand up to trolling in Gulf?

I'll be doing some trolling just off shore in SW FL - do you feel the rack would stand up to a strike by "what's out there"?

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by cowthief View Post
    Does not flex at all. It is very sturdy and I could stand on it, i'm 220lbs so you know its got some backbone. Schedule 40 helps with that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information