Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Great day ends in rescue effort

What started out to be a beautiful Saturday on Lake Pontchatrain, near causeway bridge, ended with chrisnola20 and myself trying to save a mans life. The man was fishing out of a boat with his friend. He had a heart attack and fell into the lake. His name was later released as Mr. Ashley of Metaire. While chrisnola20 tried to revive Mr. Ashley I was on the phone with the police and got disconnected by a call failed. When police arrived on causeway they were able to send down a basket in which chrisnola20 and I were able to get Mr. Ashley inside of it. They hoisted him up and I'm sad to say pronounced him dead. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Ashley family.

This brings me to my next question. We are now investing in a small mountable marine radio! Does anyone have any suggestions on name brands and where to mount? I posted some pictures of the beginning of the day, and we all know how it ended. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski1.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	184136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	184137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski3.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	184138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski4.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	184139  

+1

Chris & Tim...

What a valiant effort you two made. I don't read the Times-Pic, or watch any NOLA/North Shore news, so this is the first I've heard of your story.

Hats off to both of you for trying your best - I'm sure the Ashley family feels the same way. Yes, what a tragedy, yet somehow I feel this gentleman passed doing something he enjoyed immensely.

Would a Marine band (VHF/UHF) radio have made a difference - who knows, but it's an honest question to ask. I'm sure others will chime in, but Lasportsmn can shed some light, as he is a ship captain by day, as well as avid off-shore fisherman Jetskibrian.

Off-topic: Still looking to hook up w/you guys soon. As a matter of fact, I may even be in the marsh this weekend.

+1
    A waterproof/ submersible handheld VHF would be fine. There is a coastguard station there and they monitor channel 16. Contact USCG on 16 they will then ask you to switch and answer 22. There you can relay all information and they can handle everything.
    As far as brand, I don't have a preference. I have both a uniden and a standard horizon.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Several good threads on GH discussing PWC Marine VHF radio options.

Search for MMSI

AlaskaMike has photos and info on his VHF radio. He has a full size antenna to maximize radio range, since he is often far away from the Coast Guard towers.
    VHF radio

VHF Radio and MMSI

Pwc tracker locater

Standard Horizon HX850S VHF+DSC+GPS radio

Rescue Water Craft-USCG-Training-Education (Stories/links)

+1
    Yeah I dont know why but wdsu was the only people to report this. I know it shut down south bound causeway for a couple of hrs. Saturday. It is actually in todays times picayune in the last paragraph of a different causeway incident where a guy jumped off of bridge. They just briefly mentioned it. Here is the wdsu link with a brief video of it.
    http://www.wdsu.com/news/23182167/detail.html

+1
    Thanks K447 and lasportsmn the information is greatly appreciated and very helpful.

83gator thanks for the kind words and look forward to our trip! Chris might not be able to make cause of possible water in his oil. Ill keep in touch with you.

+1
    Thanks for your life saving efforts. I have both a hard wired VHF and a handheld. You will be fine with a good waterfroof handheld, just be sure to keep it charged.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskibrian View Post
    ...You will be fine with a good waterproof handheld, just be sure to keep it charged.
    And store/mount it so it won't be damaged by the craft boucing while riding. Don't just put the radio loose in a storage bucket or glovebox.

I have yet to see a really good mounting arrangement for a handheld VHF radio on a PWC.

I usually clip mine to my PFD, along with a lanyard in case the clip fails. That way, if I get ejected, the radio is with ME in the water, where I can use it.

If your PWC becomes upside down, a radio mounted to the PWC becomes useless if you cannot get the craft righted (injury, rough water).

Be sure to only purchase waterproof equipment. I think some are only splashproof rated, which is not enough. Look for IPX7 or IPX8 rated water immersion.

+1
    And this just popped up under the General Discussion board:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=122451

+1
    I use an APELCO by raytheyon hand held submersible radio. it can put out 3 or 5 watts. Excellent little radio. battery pack or home charger. takes AA batteries(5). about 200.00 works great. never had an issue with it. sounds crsytal clear.

I keep a GPS with me to give coordinates to the coast guard also.. A radio cant.
    Last edited by bowsniper; 05-09-2010 at 06:21 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information