RXP-X Baby Steps

So, I'm looking to take a few slow steps with basic bolt-ons my RXP-X. I'm putting on a set of RE Block Offs right away as I am tired of OPAS being in the way as far as handling goes, but the next steps are up in the air for me.

Ideally I do not want to drop all these upgrades in at once, maybe over the next months or year or so, so if that is plausible, what order would you approach them in?

- 4" fizzle/kana intake
    - WORX grate
    - solas impeller (I'm thinking 15/22R ?)

[As an aside, Do I NEED to change the 87 mm nozzle to an 83 or 82 or will the grate and impeller give a marked improvement without it?]

Right now I don't know what my top speed is, nor do I really care. My max RPM's during the summer are low around 7600-7700 if I'm not mistaken, but I am running at just over 2000ft above sea level at say 75-80 deg F so it doesn't seem to unrealistic.

I'm really more interested in overall improvement of both holeshot and maybe a couple mph top speed gain. ie-I'm not interested in squeezing every last mph out of the ski, I just want to be better than my neighbors P-X

I'm definitely not looking to get into the modding too seriously right now so I'm not terribly interested in re-pitching props or playing around with nozzles to maximize performance. I'm mostly looking for what order to approach these mods and whether they will create a noticable improvement to the ski, even if I'm not maximizing my potential.

Banned User
    +1
    the air intake is a great start and will really wake your ski up. the worx grate is also much much better then stock and if your not into all out top in madness speed will suit you fine! should be able to handle your neighbors decently with that. you will pick up some rpm with the intake but if your only at 7700ish now you should be fine w/o a repitch. not gonna pull on him real hard but you should be ahead

[QUOTE=purpledrillmonkey;1398782]
    -I'm not interested in squeezing every last mph out of the ski, I just want to be better than my neighbors P-X

QUOTE]

Thats exactly what I said LOL!

Baby seps, lets see.... Mine was a 68/[email protected] I lost the OPAS right off the bat. I cant give you results of a Worx grat but A R+D grate shot mine up to 72 on a good day Should have left well enough alone but Noooooo

The next baby step was pretty much what you are looking at plus the 13lb SC wheel and 50lb injectors. That thousand bucks dropped me back to 71mph.... go figure LOL! It beats a 15/22 like the red headed stepchild I know the Solas is the ticket on these skis but right now I would not give you 10 cents for another one... VERY frustrating!

If you want to keep all the holeshot ya might stay with the stock 87mm (larger nozzel=more punch, smaller=more speed) In despiration I went with the smaller RXP nozzel and gained a whopping 1mph.... SOB cavitates so bad off the start I cant tell one from the other...

Now I got a ski that sounds like a F16 spooling up on a flight deck that my nieghbors PX can still keep up with

+1

Quote Originally Posted by Ocman View Post
    dangit! i knew there had to be a thread kicking around relating to this... all my searching couldn't find it Probably because budget isn't the big issue for me (yet ). Great thread overall. Thanks!

I get the feeling the 4" intake would be the best first step...

One last question, back to impellers. In the interests of focusing on bolt-on mods which can be swapped in and out, what impeller would work best with the stock RXP-X nozzle and a WORX grate? I'm seeing people recommending staying stock, repitching stock, and some going 15/22. I'm not afraid to buy a new impeller as opposed to pitching my existing one, so what would be the recommendation if I were to keep the 87mm nozzle?

Quote Originally Posted by dog paw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by purpledrillmonkey View Post
    -I'm not interested in squeezing every last mph out of the ski, I just want to be better than my neighbors P-X

Thats exactly what I said LOL!

Baby seps, lets see.... Mine was a 68/[email protected] I lost the OPAS right off the bat. I cant give you results of a Worx grat but A R+D grate shot mine up to 72 on a good day Should have left well enough alone but Noooooo
    Haha yeah I know how quick the baby steps become enormous sprinting leaps. Until I pick up a new ski (what will 2011 sea doo bring? ), I plan to stop at bolt-ons that I can always reverse to sell the ski. Plans can change tho

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by purpledrillmonkey View Post
    dangit! i knew there had to be a thread kicking around relating to this... all my searching couldn't find it Probably because budget isn't the big issue for me (yet ). Great thread overall. Thanks!

I get the feeling the 4" intake would be the best first step...

One last question, back to impellers. In the interests of focusing on bolt-on mods which can be swapped in and out, what impeller would work best with the stock RXP-X nozzle and a WORX grate? I'm seeing people recommending staying stock, repitching stock, and some going 15/22. I'm not afraid to buy a new impeller as opposed to pitching my existing one, so what would be the recommendation if I were to keep the 87mm nozzle?
    With 4in air and the worx grate the 15/22 was pretty much spot on for me with the stock nozzle.
    RPMS were about 8100 or so.

+1
    If your at 2,000 ft, you must know that you want be able to pull the same prop that these guys are at sea level unless your riding in 50 degree weather.
    Look at your rpms (7,600 to 7,700 in summer), as that is because your at 2,000ft.
    I ride at 2,200 ft and can tell you all too well.

I think you got a good plan, as you can go with a 15/22, but dont be surprised if you have to take pitch out of it to get rpms to 8,000 + rpm. JME
    With just the grate and air mod a good pitching of your stock prop would work about as good.
    As far as the nozzle i would not change until you get your rpms at 8,000 +.

Thread Information