+1

Engine Temps and Timing

I read sometime back that Pete had the programs setup to reduce timing when the engine temps started to get too high.

Where abouts can this be found in the software?

The reason behind this question is that in getting ready for the upcoming Bridge 2 Bridge race in Sydney next week, I want know at what engine temperature will the timing start to backoff and at what rate.

I need to estimate what mods to do to the engine bay area to get the best running temp of 85c +-5c. Too cold and things aren't warm enough. Too hot........well everyone knows what happens then.

Below is a graph showing a 7000rpm run and you can see the temp is constantly heading north until I backed off. The timing had decreased about 2 degrees as the temp went from 82c to 90c.

Any helps???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Engine temp verses timing.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	184260  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    I read sometime back that Pete had the programs setup to reduce timing when the engine temps started to get too high.

Where abouts can this be found in the software?

The reason behind this question is that in getting ready for the upcoming Bridge 2 Bridge race in Sydney next week, I want know at what engine temperature will the timing start to backoff and at what rate.

I need to estimate what mods to do to the engine bay area to get the best running temp of 85c +-5c. Too cold and things aren't warm enough. Too hot........well everyone knows what happens then.

Below is a graph showing a 7000rpm run and you can see the temp is constantly heading north until I backed off. The timing had decreased about 2 degrees as the temp went from 82c to 90c.

Any helps???
    Hi Gunna
    Engine temp comps can be found in the following location

adjust menu
    ign
    compensation
    eng temp comp

You will see a 2d table which can be altered, obviously by anyone but originaly I started pulling timing at 90 degrees C and that goes up to -4 at 100 C then -10 at 120C
    Now lets say the engine finaly settles at 95 C and you are OK with that and you have good fuel you could put a 95C site in the table and put 0 there.
    That way the ECU does nothing until 95 then pulls 4 deg out by 100.
    You really should look at your over heating stratagy.
    There are ways to protect the engine which include knocking the electronic throttle back as temp goes over 100.
    The point with our stuff is that its all there for you to decide what to do, each engine once modified ends up different, how you use it will be different, so the tune required will be different.
    Work out what you want to do and I will tell you how.

Cheers

+1
    Thanks again Pete for the quick reply.

I have the exact information I need for now. That is to know at what temps the timing started to get pulled back.

As you have suggested my stratagy is now to get the engine bay and engine temps down so as not to ever get to the 90c point in the first place.

Lots to do in that area before B2B. Hope to see you there.

Dean

FYI, I think there is fuel compensation that goes along with this. Same general area in i2.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOBiz View Post
    FYI, I think there is fuel compensation that goes along with this. Same general area in i2.
    Thanks Biz.........found it!

Don't get it but I found it.

Thread Information