+1

braking in a new gp1300r motor. How many hours is needed?

I just finished buildin my 2004 gp1300r. I bought it with a blown motor and replaced the crank, put 3 new pistons and rings, all new seals and gaskets, new pin barings, replated cyliners, and an oil block off kit. I haven't put a drop of gas into the motor yet. What mixture should I run. The ski is almost stock with a d plate, chip and pump seal kit. I also plan on getting 1200 intake grate, ride plate and tunnel support. Also how many hours should I take it easy and brake in my motor. I don't want to beat on it I want to properly brake it in so there's no problems.
    Thank you
    amf133

cheatin' piston popper addicted's Avatar
    +1
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...hlight=breakin

you are going to get alot of different opinions, so its best to read up and make your own decision.

+1

Lightbulb ?????????

Quote Originally Posted by amf133 View Post
    I just finished buildin my 2004 gp1300r. I bought it with a blown motor and replaced the crank, put 3 new pistons and rings, all new seals and gaskets, new pin barings, replated cyliners, and an oil block off kit. I haven't put a drop of gas into the motor yet. What mixture should I run. The ski is almost stock with a d plate, chip and pump seal kit. I also plan on getting 1200 intake grate, ride plate and tunnel support. Also how many hours should I take it easy and brake in my motor. I don't want to beat on it I want to properly brake it in so there's no problems.
    Thank you
    amf133
    Hey there amf133..

Do you know what the cause of the engine failure in the first place was..???

If the original fault is not correctly identified then unfortunately you could be looking at yet another expensive repair bill..

Could be something like a blocked injector,. an oil line coming off,. water ingestion,.
    There are several other causes of two stroke failure..

You ideally need to know what killed it in the first place..

Did you pressure test the motor after assembly..??

Sorry for the doom and gloom post here..

BUT:. better that than reading shortly... "my newly rebuilt motor went bang again"

As for the break in procedure..??
    Woody's advice is sound in Addicted's link..
    I use a very similar method myself..
    What i would say is I'm not a fan of this babying it for ten hours crap..
    Only to have it blow up the first time it gets hung wide open.. (just imagine how pissed you'd be then.. )

Gerry

+1
    I’m not sure what caused the motor to go since it was blown up when I bought it. I took everything apart to find a bad center cylinder and a bad crank with about a half inch play in the crank arm. The ski did start and run when I got it but had low compression. I figured that that was caused by the crank and the scratches in the cylinder after I took it apart. While there I decided to completely redo the motor to prevent any further damage and damage later down the road. I also figured I might as well put an oil block off just incase the oil pump was bad or incase it would go bad down the road.
    Thank You
    Amf133

+1
    When I purchased my new '08 1300R I didn't know anything about breaking in the engine. The dealer told me to just gas & go --just go easy for the 1st 10-hrs. Later, I read that I was supposed to mix the first tank or 2 with a 50:1 premix --in addition to the oil injection. I also didn't baby it for the 1st 10-hrs --didn't go wide open everywhere, but also didn't baby it.

Personally, I would make the mixture rich for the first 2 tanks, baby it for the 1st hour, then start cracking the throttle WO for a 10-20 second run slowly working your way up from there.

Do your heat cycles. I would run 36:1 Nonsynthetic yamalube. 1.5 to 2 tanks. Then switch over to your favorite oil at 40:1.

Thread Information