Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    If your not doing something, its hard to screw up. stlouisramsfan's Avatar

99 XLL oil line fell off

met a guy on the forum that lives close and he is in the process of tearing down the motor (thought i would help out... seems like the thing to do on here). Long story short, rear cyl oil line popped off (i know hard to believe) and ran without oil.... so far he has all the exaust off, carbs off.... what else is neede to pull the motor? i assume we need to pull the pump/impeller/ shaft.... what about int. shaft? just didnt find much info on it, looking for guidance,

Plan is to split the case remove any metal fragments, check the crank (i will need help on that too)

Thanks

This is an SBT how to, and an engine assembly by Fercho.
    Attached Files Attached Files

depends on how long it ran without oil. I didnt pull my motor, just replaced third cylinder went premix. ran fine ever since.

Thanks KeithN your always a great help!

I would love to swap just the cyl and piston, but the piston got chewed up a bit, would hate to explain to dave I took a shortut and will cost him double... Better safe than sorry... Unless I get a bunch of people that thinks I am crazy for the extra work... Let me know guys...
    Thanks!

Engine

Chris, I have everything out except for the engine. I want to tear it all the way down so I can clean it out and know how to get back in if I need to one day. Just let me know what day works for you. Thanks again for the help.

sorry, i ended up getting tied up in the back yard and forgot my phone in the house... maybe friday night? i can go to the lake on saturday morning...

No problem Chris. I feel guilty about dragging you over as it is. The carb rebuild is the only thing I'm struggling with. With 77 hours will I need to rebuild the carbs? Looking for some outside advice on this as I'm not sure if I should drop the $500 or so on it if I don't need to. Sounds like we will be taking it back to stock except for some minor mods.

no biggie, i understand, i believe it will be fine for the year, but maybe this winter, take the carbs out for a rebuild, its not the hours its the time, the diaphrams are 11 years old... also there are internal filters that get cloged and starve the engine of fuel causing lean condition.... either way, i am good with it... i had a pretty knowledgeable source pm about not being necessary to pull the engine to get the small metal fragments out... he said to verify there is no excess play in the crank then to

"put some oil in the Case to flush the metal into the center and take a baby feeding tube to suck out the crap. Do it a few times."

this would def speed up the time and put it back on the water fast! what do you think

ttyl

Sounds good to me. We can do it until we don't see any metal pieces. It feels smooth and I don't see much of the piston missing, so I say we order the parts, clean it out and get it back together.

i have a guy with a silver cylinder, piston etc for 250... not sure if the different color would matter to you.... that may leave you a little cash to get the carbs done while they are out? whichever... no difference to me...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information